Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White grain on gills

J

jojovial

today i receive 2 new axies ,by mail in a plastic bottle ,a 2 day travel.
they have vomit boefheart in the bottle,so the water have an ugly smell,
they have little white grain on their gills,like salt grain ,
i have made a salt bath,1 teaspoon in 2 litter ,10 minutes,i dont know if its fungus or bacterial infection,
i have an antibiotic for bacteria should i use it?
in my tank i have already 2 healthy axies since one month ,im worried for them, i think the new axies have been stressed by the travel...so perhaps in few days they get well again?...

R

rheann

Hey Jojovial,

I am not sure about the Antibiotic, unless you know for sure if it is safe for Axolotls. Visit this link to get a list of what is safe and not safe to use: http://axolotls.org/health.htm#list

As for the salt baths, it sounds like you are on the right path. Don't put your new little Axies in with your other Axolotls. They need to be isolated for about 30 to make sure that they will not cause illness or anything else to spread to your other axolotls.

The Fridge will also help. I hope your new little ones get better, good luck!
happy.gif

A

alex

yea it sounds like a typical fungus on the gills. i have had the same problem and i gave him this antibacterial stuff and the fungus went but man the axolotl was so strest because most of the products sold in pet stores that say they cure fungus are often poisines to axolotls so check out that list rheann gave you and you should be fine!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1