Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus grrr

N

natasha

I found some fungus on shortie a couple of days ago how annoying. Anyway I have salt bathed her twice now and it has gone. I took my water to the pet store to be tested incase something was wrong. They said no ammonia no nitrate and PH 7.4 (which it has been for two years now) tank is sitting on 19 degrees celcius. Any ideas why this would happen? Last water change was one week ago I do about 25% of the water every two weeks.

The pet store made me so angry when they asked if anything was wrong I said she had a little bit of fungus and just wanted to be sure the water was OK. He tried to sell me Melafix which I wouldn't buy because it seems the salt has been working and I wouldn't risk using anything on her anyways. He said the salt isn't strong enough to kill fungus, hmm...but tea tree oil is!!?? What the? He goes well that is your decision then you should look up an axolotl web site and you will see melafix is fine to use or something like that. I said I do look at an axolotl web site and the recommendation is salt baths. Far out they make me angry their axies are not in good health either, he said we use melafix on ours and I thought you shouldn't need to use it in the first place they should be healthy. This is the same store mind you that tells you to feed a diet primarly of beef heart.

Oh well that is my whinge for the day!! Glad people around here know better this site has helped me so much!!

R

rita

Yes. Congratulations on putting that pet shop assistant straight!!

M

mel

I've just been to our local store and it's so horrible, I just want to buy them all! they were so sick, I thought because it is such a massive aquarium, they didn't notice, so I told one of them and they said they were fine! they had red fungus on them their skin was peeling one kept rolling up side down! I nearly died! I would have bought them if I could, but I've got a hundred babies to look after.so if anyone from melbourne see this and wants an axolotl get down there! oxox

C

cynthia

Natasha - The only thing I can think of is you might want to check your thermometer for accuracy.

Good job on refusing the melafix, salt is safer.

J

jennifer

Pet shop assisants can be so annoying. They think they know much more than they really do. They try to sell you products you 'need' unless your axie will die. Ours aren't dead! We asked a lady at a petshop how old her cute medium sized axies were. She knew nothing about axies. She told us they were 6 months which wasn't possible and when we asked if she would like to buy some of ours she sneered "sorry we don't buy fish." They are not fish. I was disgusted! Poor little axies having some one like her to look after them!

S

sharn

tell me about it! i have one large pet shop around here who asks me for advice on their fish each time i go in!! yet they wont give me a job in their aquatic section grrrrr. i have even helped them write up info cards to put above the tanks!! most pet shops are in it for money these days. i had a adult lutino oscar that i couldnt keep and they wouldnt pay for it but sold her on (for $100) to probably a unsuspecting, uninformed customer despite the strick instructions i gave to them. well thats my rant for the day too, i feel much better now heheh

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!