Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!What should I do?

V

vanessa

hi all, my female axie which i got about 1 month ago layed eggs around less than a week after i got her. after she layed the eggs i put them in a tub and cleaned out my whole main tank because of all the egg goo that was left over. i have 7 adult axies in that tank and hoped my filter could handle the clean up. obviously not because about 5 days later i noticed my axie that had layed the eggs had a bit of skin peeling off, it was so little and hardly noticable so i thought maybe it was her colouration or i was seeing things. the next day it seemed there was more skin coming off so i took a water sample down to my local aquarium shop and it showed that there was .5 ammonia in my tank which i NEVER have. none of my other axies seemed to be effected as there skin was fine and their tails nor gills were curled or showing any signs of stress. i took my axie whos skin was peeling off out of the tank and into a bucket with fresh declhorinated water with some stress coat. at this stage she was still eating. the next day i put her in the fridge as her skin was still peeling off, that was 3 days ago. i took her out yesterday. she has not eaten today and is adamantly refusing any food ive offered her. her skin still wont stop peeling though even though the quality of the water im using is good. so i put double the amount of stress coat in the water hoping it will help. i dont know what else i can do. i ve tried to feeding her everything; beef heart, beef liver, earth worms, blood worms and even bacon. if anyone know what i should do please let me know. im not sure if i should put her back in the fridge. is there anything else i can put in the water to help her with stress or to make her skin stop peeling. i dont want to lose her and if i do then ill never forgive myself. im just happy that my other axies werent affected, i assume its because her health was weakened because she had just layed eggs which could have made her more likely to be suseptable. the ammonia in the tank is gone now but i dont want to put back in there with all the other axies because they may stress her out more. im most worried about her not eating though as how is she supposed to get better if she doesnt eat? if anyone knows how to help me please let me know.(im panicing now!)

M

mel

ahh! I'm not sure! I'm new too! My julie had peeling skin but I don't know if it is the same as yours, I gave her a salt bath and it cleared up.how is the temperature of the tank? wait for a second opinion though oxox hope she gets better, try not to panic. oxox good luck

G

grant

Try to post pictures if at all possible. Normally the "skin" that is peeling off isn't actually skin. It is normally just their slime coat that has been damaged from bad water conditions or a number of other things. The rise in ammonia I presume would be normal from the extra waste put into the water. Normally when their gills get curled forward it is because there is a water current. Do you have a filter in with him in his seperate container. I wouldn't be putting any more than the recomended dose of the Stress Coat just because all chemicals can be harmful if used improperly. And if she was in the fridge for 3 days and has been out for only 1 it is normal that she isn't eating. Don't worry about the eating unless she hasn't ate for over a week outside of the fridge. But try to post some pictures.

V

vanessa

thanks grant, her gills are curling forward because she is stressed and it seems overly bad because hers are extra long. there is no filter in the tub im keeping her in so im replacing the water daily. i just looked in on her and she has started to float i will get a pic up asap. its her slime coating thats getting peeled off but i just call it skin. im worried about her not eating cause she is alot thinner than when i got her and she looks really miserable, she also swims away from the food when i offer it to her. tomorrow im going to take her to my friends aquarium shop to see what they can do about her and see if they can get her to eat. i get stressed when they dont eat because i once had an axie that would never eat and just swam away from the food and he ended up passing away. is there anything that i can do to stop her skin peeling?

G

grant

Just keep her in a seperate cage and use the Stress Coat. Eventually all the excess coat will fall off and build itself up again. If you force her to eat it can put a lot of stress on her. I also wouldn't be taking her around to places a lot because that can also be very stressful. If she is an adult axie she should easily be able to go without food for at least a month or so. Just give her a little more time would be my advice and I would put her in the fridge for at least another 3 days or so.

V

vanessa

R.I.P. Roxanne.
sad.gif

...i dont know how she got so bad but she died before i could take her the aquarium shop, so i dont think that moving her was why she died.. she hadnt even stopped eating for that long and ive known axies to go for way longer without food. maybe laying those eggs just put too much stress on her cause i took her out of my tank that had the ammonia the day i found out so she was only in it for about a day or less and the quantity wasnt exessive..now her babies are motherless
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!