New Axolotls

S

stephanie

hey all its me again
my mum has brought 3 new axolotls. she also brought a water tester. the axolotls names are wonka (white), wicket (brown) and wooki (orange). thanks for all your help, i hope these axolotls have a better life
happy.gif

also all our fish are males. we brought a new one today which is wonka and he has been rubbing against the stones and putting his face in the other axolotls face. he has left some jelly stuff in the tank. what is this? does this mean its not a male?
thanks\clipart

Jelly stuff? Is it white? He might be leaving spermaphores around, better seperate your females if you don't want babies, or it might be something else. Sounds like Spermaphores!

hey. yeah sound like spermatophore! lol i remember someone took pics of theirs doing their stuff. http://www.caudata.org/forum/cgi-bin/show.cgi?793/793

if thats what it looks like its spermatophore. if you dont kno much about how axoltols reproduce you should check out axoltol.org all the info you need is there. or just ask people. mine have just layed eggs and everyone on here has helped heaps.

if you dont want them to lay eggs just yet you probably should remove the spermatophores or the female axolotls. they lay heaps of eggs mine layed 200 and thats not alot compared to what other people have said. it might be a bit annoying but (as im going to find out)it will be alot of work to raise them all.

good luck with the new axoltols ^_^
happy.gif

also we dont want to breed ...so do we dispose of the eggs??
we didnt know she was a female until now :S

Hey, if you don't want them to breed, get a tank devider. As for the eggs, I have no idea what to tell you. You can get tank Deviders at petstores.

Stephanie - If you have eggs that you do not want put them in the freezer ASAP, don't let them develop. Once they are frozen solid you can dispose of them in the trash.

we didnt know we had a girl in the tank as we wanted all boys...
they are jelly things with white egg things in them. there is like 600 in the tank...

hey nathan archer. two of my fish are identical to the two you have in your picture. i will upload pics of my mother new axolotls soon so you can all see
happy.gif
. yeh as we discovered they are eggs. we are going to keep them and as soon as they develop we are handing then over to the pet store to take care of. they said they would be happy to help them develop
happy.gif

yay

Hi guys, this is Stephs mum.I am the proud owner of 3 axies and I am having all sorts of trouble.I have lost one fish this weekend and the 2 others are sick too.The one that died had fungus and I treated it in a seperate tank.Now wookie seems to have the same thing and wonka is getting lots of air all at once.
Ihave them both in a tank with fungus treatment until the Aquarium is open tomorrow.
I have bought a new cannister filter as the guy at the Aquarium said maybe my other one was not good enough.I do have some ammonia but he couldn't test for nitrite as he has the test kit at home.great.I will be buying one tomorrow.
P.Hseems to be a little low but the guy at the Aquarium says its fine.
everything is going wrong and I am very upset at losing my fish and I dont know if I can do this again.
I previously lost 3 axies prior to this.
The guy at the Aquarium says I seem to be doing everything right and everything is going wrong.
Idid cycle my tank before I put these axies in .
The only thing I think I did wrong was not testing nitrite, nitrate and ammonia.I also have a nitra-zorb in my filter for 2 weeks .Any ideas please to get things right before I give up.
Please help me as I am very upset and dont like to see sick axies.

Just one thing axolotls are not fish!
Go to this web site and learn a bit more about them before have anymore axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back