Still won't go away!!!

R

rita

I've been giving Desdamona salt baths once a day for a while now, and her fungus still hasn't gone away in the slightest!!! It hasn't spread either, so I don't know what's happening.
Any ideas anyone???
Oh, here's a better picture of Desdamona with all her fungussy spots.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Iron-daughter/Campix003.jpg

Here's another one, but it's not very good, due to the camera flash, her being in a small tub at the time, etc.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Iron-daughter/IMG_0021.jpg

Rita - Are you sure that is fungus and not some parasite infestation or something?

The pictures are not very clear so I can't see the spots well. It looks like it has both yellow and white spots?

Salt baths should be given twice a day with the mixture of 2 teaspoons of salt in 2 liters of water.

Would it be possible for you to get a better picture?

I honestly don't know what it is. It just looks most like a fungus. The thing that confuses me most is how, no matter what it is, it hasn't spread to any of the others, and it hasn't affected her appetite in all the years that she's had it.
Yes, a few of her spots are yellowish, but most are white.
I'll see what I can do about the picture problem, and keep up the salt baths in the meantime.

I think use melafix from RENA helps preventing fungus, and it works really good against it.

Granted the pictures are not great but what makes you think that this is a fungus and not some other problem that is changing the pigmentation in those locations?
A skin biopsy would be the best method to see what is going on as opposed to shotgun treatments based on best guess scenarios.

Ed

I wouldn't recomend melafix. It might be some type of skin pattern that is not a disease at all. If you keep medicating you might wind up harming a healthy axolotl with a pattern that could make it valuable as breeding stock. It's tough to tell what is going on from the picture. Some of my melanoids and wild types have skin patterns that remind you of fungus or velvet disease. They are perfectly healthy animals with an odd genetic trait.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Rita Werner wrote on Saturday, 27 August, 2005 - 06:06 :</font>

"and it hasn't affected her appetite in all the years that she's had it"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

If she has had it for years then is it dangerous at all?
uhoh.gif

Well, when we first got her, she didn't have it at all. So it's not a cool skin pigmentation unfortunately.
I don't think it is dangerous, I just think that I should get rid of it before I try to breed off her. It might affect her eggs.
I don't want to try medications, because I've heard that most of them are harmful to axolotls, because they're amphibians, not fish, and therefore absorb more through their skin.
I would get a skin biopsy done, except vets in Australia know nothing about axolotls, and wouldn't know that they're looking for, much less how to actually do the proceedure.
The green/yellow spots have all faded to white now, so maybe it is clearing, and just taking it's time about it??
I still confused...
sick.gif

If you could get a better picture we could give a better guess. Skin patterns and color naturally change as axolotls mature.

My daughter has a tiger salamander. It has a clear/grayish sticky substance on him today. What could this be and how do we treat it? He is making alot of noises and walking weird.

Are the spots on Desdamona raised at all Rita?
If the salt baths aren't doing anything ( after a while, you wrote. How long have you been giving her salt baths? ) it's not advisable to continue, otherwise damage might possibly occur to her skin & gills.
The salt baths might be changing the green/ yellow spots - white colour?
If your other axolotls are sharing the same tank & aren't affected by fungus I doubt if that's what the marks are.

Meh, I've officially given up on the salt baths. If my axolotl is going to have spots that make her look mouldy, then so be it. She's eating, swimming, and doing everything else normally, so I'll just leave her be.
Thanks anyway everyone!!

what do you feed your axie? I had a similar problem on my first axie, which turned out to be "fat spots" from feeding a food too high in saturated fats. If it's fungus, the spots should be able to be brushed away with your fingers. If they wont budge, either through physical contact or salt baths, then I doubt it's fungus. (just dont play with your axie too much, excess handling can damage their slime coat)

Nah, it's not fat spots. My axies are all fed meal and earth worms as a staple diet, occasionally getting crickets and feeder fish as a treat. None of the others have the spots, and I feed them all the same thing.

Michelle - for newt and salamander help list your post under:

Newt and Salamander Help
Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

The folks there can better answer your questions about Tiger Salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back