Flagyl

J

joão

does anyone used flagyl with axies I know it´s safe to use but , is there anyone that used it before?
Also if there is I could use some tips.
Cause I had a case with internal parasites before with 2 of my axies but I just put them in the fridge and use a medicine for internal parasites for fish, after using this it was call STERAZIN I found out it was toxic for them , but it worked well, now they are fine.
I have now the same problem with another axie from a different tank, but I´m thinking on use FLAGYL, I had great results with STERAZIN , but since it´s toxic I´m going to try FLAGYL. does anyone know if axies can get parasites from the air?

Also I had had a dog with parasites so that´s why I´m asking if someone knows if parasites can be transmited by air, the dogs never enter axies room.

I would take your Axolotl to the vet and see what he/she has to say about internal Parasites. I don't think they can be transmitted from your dog. I think they got the worms from the food they eat. Do you feed them feeder fish? What types of food do you feed to them?

they eat frozen food blood worms, black worms, Mysis, and pellets , sometimes earthworms, all of this food was bought in the pet store and the earthworms are raised by me.

What do you mean by "I have now the same problem with another axie"? Why do you think they have parasites? It seems like it would be uncommon because they are captive bred.

There have been discussions about Flagyl in the "newt" areas of the forum. Try searching, or ask in the General Discussion area.

I think it´s parasites cause they have convulsions and scratch their gills , and I describe those symptoms to the Indiana University and they say it was parasites. I really don´t know what else could it be.
Jennifer do you have any advise, I already administrate the FLAGYL to the axie and it doesn´t seem to do any harm, on contrary he looks fine.

Also Jennifer are you saying that it´s not normal to have parasites in captivity?
If it isn´t what could this be? the scratching the strokes and contorting like convulsions, what could it be from?

Ah, I see. Usually Flagyl is used to treat internal parasites, so I assumed that you were talking about internal parasites. Animals captured from the wild often have these, but I wouldn't expect them in axolotls.

If IU thinks it's parasites, what do they recommend for treatment? Sorry, I don't know much about external parasites or treatment. You still might want to do some searches of this forum, I believe someone was successful treating anchor worms, which are an external parasite. I don't remember what they used.

Perhaps I can´t explain myself well, but I´m talking about internal parasites, cause I can´t see any external parasites in the axies, so it has to be internal.
The IU recommended that I put the axies in the fridge and treat them with medicine for fish.

the axie that is ill he is a floater, and a strange thing is that he can´t close his mouth, his mouth was always like this, could this be also one of the reasons beside infection that he have that makes him to float? here is a picture
42623.jpg

I find it strange that IU would recommend using fish medication. This is a bold move, especially if you don't even know if you HAVE parasites. Before doing any sort of medication, I'd take my animal to the vet and get a stool/blood workup to diagnose the problem. Unless you're a licensed vet, it's pretty hard to diagnose internal parasites.

If you want Joan I can post the email that they send me.
I just think it´s parasites cause the symptoms indicate that, any suggestion of what could it be, well I guess not...
I will not post anything that wasn´t true I don´t need that, I am just trying to get any advise from anyone who have any experience .

Okay, flagyl (metronidazole) is typically only used to treat protozoal parasites and not parasites like the various parasitic worms. If you are treating for worms then you have used the wrong treatment. Flagyl also has a good antibiotic specificity against obligate anaerobic bacteria which can get established in the gut and cause problems.

Overdoses of metronidazole can cause real problems in animals such as severe neurological problems which may or may not resolve or even death.

I am not in favor of shotgun treatments based on symptoms without a confirming identification. A vet does not have to be a herp vet to run a fecal or take a skin scraping to see if there is anything abnormal in the sample. If they have questions, most exotic animal vets at Zoos will consult with them as to what to look for and how to treat it.

Ed

Just to update , the axie is fine , I did used FLAGYL, and used the right doses. He´s looking very healthy and stop floating, his gills look more fluffier and they are more red, he is eating well cause flagyl also increases the appetite.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back