Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Missing Leg? and missing tail?

S

sarah

Hello all, i am really in need of help, i know the axie loosing a leg or two is common and the wound seems to be clean, but She seems to loosing the end of her tail! Ludo shares a tanks with my other axie who is fine, both are eating but Ludo is slugish. Could this be down to bullying from Deablo (he is alot bigger atm) or an infection, would salt baths be of any help? or keeping her in the fridge for a while? i really dont know. If anyone has or is having the same problem plz advise me. Thank you so much.

C

cynthia

Sarah - I would suggest that you remove the axolotl that is hurt from the tank and put it in a food safe plastic or clean glass container that will hold at least half a gallon of water.

I think your larger axolotl is biting your smaller one. The wounds could get infection or fungus so you should probably give her a few salt baths.

Mix 2 teaspoons of salt in 2 liters of water (make sure salt is completely dissolved) and soak the axolotl for 10 min twice a day.

If the leg or tail wounds look infected or fungus starts to set in then I would keep the axolotl in the fridge until it shows improvement.

You may have to get a tank divider to keep the axolotls separate.

Please let us know how she does.

S

sarah

Cynthia- thanks for the advice, i have moved her to a new tank and in the few hours she has been in there she seems a lot more happy. She is also being hand feed which is good because she refused before. I will let you know how she is doing in a week or so.
Thanks again
Sarah

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1