Fungus

G

grant

Ok my girlfriend got her axie about a week ago and I noticed that it had a small stringy thing coming off of its side. He had a cut leg so I figured it may just be a wound that is healing or some sort of scar tissue from a wound. But it has grown and when you look at it up close with a microscope it looks like it is a small "Y" shape coming out of his skin and now beginning to grow a type of "fuzz" around the "Y." I have also noticed a slightly more hidden "Y" that is at the top of his front leg. I am pretty sure it is a type of fungus and I will start salt baths first thing in the morning (2 tsps of salt, 2 liters water, 10 min, 2 x per day). If anyone has seen this fungus before and has any advice please feel free to give me some.

Hi Grant, The first thing that comes to mind is anchor worm. This is a parasite that I have seen on fish.

Grant - I agree with Stacy it does sound like anchor worms. Keep the infected axolotl away from any others and be careful not to cross contaminate containers, nets and other objects you might use with other axolotls or fish.

Members of this genus of parasitic copepods are highly specialized morphologically. At first glance, they do not even resemble a copepod. The life cycle form seen most often, the parasitic female, is long and slender, and the anterior end is highly modified. No appendages are visible, although egg cases are easily seen.

These parasites get the name "anchor worms" because the female's anterior end is embedded or anchored in the host's flesh. These parasites infect a number of aquatic teleosts, and the infections can result in large lesions that can become infected with bacteria or fungi. These parasites are important pests of many commercially important fish, and infections of small fish may be lethal.

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/lernea.html

Aww,poor litte axie. So how does one go about getting rid of anchorworm? Although I do love a site that says in big fancy letters "Graphic Images of Parasites".
alien.gif

I have heard of anchor worms before on this site and I considered that, but I think it may just be a type of fungus still so I am going to go ahead and do the salt baths anyways. And this axie is in his own tank and everything because he is a little guy (less than half the size of my other axies). But how do I go about treating for anchor worms if that is the problem?

Grant - The salt baths are a good idea. I have never treated anything for anchor worms. If you decide to turn to medication make sure you consult the list at the bottom of this page http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm to make sure you do not buy something known to be toxic to axolotls.

That page also suggests Mercurochrome, please consult the page for dosage instructions.

Dimilin is the recommended product from fish breeders to kill anchor worms on goldfish and koi. I do not know if it is safe for axolotls.

Ok well I was looking into all types of medication online and in the store and I will probably pick up Aquarium Product's Fluke Tabs. They doesn't contain malichite green like a lot of the medications for parasites and infections on fish do. I have been trying to find any negative effects of it's two ingrediants on the internet for a while but haven't found anything. It's two ingrediants are methyl-5-benzoyl-benzi-midazole-2-carbamate
and
Dimethyl (2,2,2,Trichloro-1-Hydroxyethyl) Phosphonate.

It is suppose to be very effective in treating anchor worms and get rid of them in one treatment. If anyone has any information on this product or it's ingrediants please let me know.

P.S. He did have a fungal infection due to an anchor worm lodged in his side. The salt bath quickly cured the fungal infection because it was fairly new. It is clear it is anchor worms now that the fungus is gone so I will be continue salt baths for a few days and treat him for the anchor worms.

Anne-Marie - That was rather amusing when I saw that I had to use that link. lol

Grant - Please let us know what dosage you use and how affective it is.

Will do. But I just thought I might also give a warning to anyone who might run into parasites in the future that nearly all liquid treatments contain either malachite green or a number of other chemicals that can be lethal to axolotls. A lot of tablets are also very dangerous from what I have read. But I will post updates on the axies condition.

Ok now for an update. I have given him salt baths twice a day for the last 2 days. The fungus infection was gone after the first bath. He had sores around the anchor worms that have now healed up, but the worms are still in him. The one on his side seems to be dead and about ready to fall out, the other one on his leg however seems to be growing. I'm not sure if it look like its growing because it is coming out of his flesh or if it actually is growing. The stuff I have to use to get rid of them is pretty strong and they suggest a 50% water change 2 days after the tablet is put in and if the parasites aren't dead yet then continue treatment. But he really seems to be stressed out from all this so tomorrow I'm doing the 50% water change and gonna add some Stress Coat in and wait a few days to see if they fall out or not. If they are still in there or getting worse I will add another tab but I really wanna be careful with the stuff being that it is meant for fish. Err I have using chemicals! lol. I'll update again soon.

Grant - If he seems really stressed I would stop the medication as well.

I found several fish websites that say to pick the anchor worms off with tweezers.

I think picking them off could leave a small part that is attached to the axolotl. If you pick them off, continue to do salt baths or put some mercurochrome in his water to help him heal.

Mercurochrome is an antiseptic/disinfectant available at pharmacies and can be quite effective when treating bacterial and fungal problems. The Indiana University Axolotl Colony recommends adding just a few drops to tint the water orange, and change the water frequently. 2-4 ppm (parts per million, i.e. 2 to 4 grams per 1000 litres of water) is the dosage recommended by Peter W. Scott.

Yea thats what I was saying was I stopped the medication. And I was looking into it but I couldn't really find any answers to if something would be left behind if they are picked off, but I believe something would by just looking at their body construction. If you saw any sites that talk about it a link would be much appreciated. But they seem to be dying or something because now they are both clear and just really limp looking. He didn't look to stressed, but his gills weren't as fluffy as they had been but they are already back to normal 2 days later.

I'm
happy.gif
to know your gf's axie is doing well Grant
Someone at the following sites might be able to answer your questions
http://fish-helpline.co.uk/health/anchor_worm.html
Even though this is a koi fish site treatment - anchor worm would be similar in some ways...
they have a message board & FAQ
http://koivet.com/html/glossary/glossary.php?intro=Glossary
I don't think either of the following products have ingredients listed as Unsafe and "Toxic" Products at http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm
1.http://www.reptiledirect.com/browseproducts/Pond-Care-reg;-Dimilin.html
2.http://www.uskoi.com/cyropro.htm
Keep eyes open for parasites for some time yet, about 28 days. Also watch for more vulnerability to secondary bacterial and fungal infections.
Good luck.
Regards, Ros.

That "Graphic Images of Anchor Worms" Made me laugh so hard! Gosh that was funny! Leave it to the internet to make me smile
lol.gif
thanks Cynthia for providing a funny, yet educational website ^_^

Ok I finally found a site that helped me and had some links to other good sites. So I did what a few sites told me to do. Here is a step by step of what I did:
1. Put the axolotl in a salt bath while I put in the Fluke Tabs
2.Added the proper dosage of Aquarium Products Fluke Tabs to the tank
3. Gave 2 salt baths a day for 3 days (all signs of fungus and infection had cleared).
4. 48 hrs after putting in the medication a 50% water change was performed
5. Dechlorinated the new water with Stress Coat
6. Waited 3 days
7. Put the axie into a salt bath and pulled off the anchor worms with tweezers (very VERY carefully)
8. Added another dosage of the medication

Now he seems to be doing a lot better and is very active and eating regularly. Tomorrow I will change another 50% of the water (as directed on the package). And I will continue by doing 1 salt bath a day for the next 3 days (approximately). The wounds are healed up really nicely and have not become inflamed or swollen at all. I will continue to keep everyone posted with his progress.

Good on ya, Grant. Sounds like it was quite an effort and I'm glad it's working out.

Yea I'm gonna have to see but I figure the tank might have to be reccycled now but at least he is doing good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back