Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie have eaten pebble!!

K

katrina

My little axies stomach looked a little big.. I just tryed it (very carefully) and there was something. i thik it's a pebble!! In the shop, where my axies were, there was gravels in the tank.
So, can it be bossible my axie have eaten the pebble?!?

And what can I do? I'm so worry about my little babys..
sad.gif

Please somebody help me!!!!
sad.gif

H

hayley-jane

Hi

It is most likely that s/he has swallowed some gravel.

Hopefully it will pass through the axie naturally (ouch poor thing!
sick.gif
).

I recently switched to sand from gravel and put my axie in the fridge for a few days (she had fungus).

Because her metabolism was low in there she wasn't eating but was passing all the little stones she had swallowed.

She looks great now - guess it was kinda like a detox for her!

I'm sure your axie will be fine, especially now you have her/him at home away from the gravel, but wait to see what some of the more experienced people on here say.

K

katrina

Thanks very much your answer Hayley-Jane

He has eaten very well and looks just a normal..

H

hayley-jane

He is okay now then?

Did he pass any gravel?

or was he just having a 'fat day'?
frog.gif

K

katrina

He's not okay i think.
And he hasn't passed any gravel..
sad.gif

But he has eaten well, I know he's not starving..

D

dev

if you want you can move him into a little tub or something with lower water level and wait for him/her to pass it. So you'll know for sure.

C

cynthia

Katrina - It could take months/years for the axolotl to pass all the gravel if it has swallowed some. As long as it is eating and acting fine there isn't a lot you can do but wait.

If it stops eating put it in a food safe container of water and put it in the fridge.

D

dev

really cynthia it takes that long thats a bit crazy so the gravel just stays lodged in them? Is there no way to induce them to puke it out or something

C

cynthia

Animals and people swallow all sorts of things that can stay in the gut for years in some cases forever.

Some people in the forum have reported that their axolotl has not been on gravel for months then they see colored stones in the tank from previous substrates.

Their body will get rid of it when it is ready/able to.

Sometimes gravel does cause a blockage and short of surgery there isn't much that I know of that one can do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1