Receding eyes

H

hayley-jane

Elsa looks slightly better than before now.

She hasn't ate in a week, but not too worried because she has spent most of the time in the fridge.

Someone commented on the redness of her veins, what does it mean, I know its bad but why?

Her skin tone is still different to usual.

Her eyes also seem to be receding. They are quite far into her head, as if she's trying to grow the skin around them into eye lids. Noticed in the last hour that her black toe nails have now turned white, what does that mean?

The last thing is that she has lost half of her gills at least over the last week. They were pink, then slowly the end were turning white and dropping off, so they are all now half the size.

I'm no longer giving her salt baths as the fungus she had cleared up a long time ago.

Please can someone advise me on whether she is on the mend or not?

Thanks

Hayley - Can you take a picture of her and post it?

Is she still in the fridge?

40084.jpg

Elsa full length. Her veins aren't as noticeable as they were last week, but you can still easily view them.

40087.jpg

Her eyes seem to be going into her head.

Can you see the veins?

40090.jpg

Elsa's black toenails have turned white
sad.gif

What does this mean?

the tips of the toes usually change colour when the animal is sexually mature. this is due to a hormone being secreted. but it usually makes the tips of the toes on light coloured axies a dark colour. so im not sure whats happened. unless your axies have turned white when it's become sexually mature.
about the gills. my male had 1 gill branch bit by my female.it went white at the end and lost the red bits right at the end. but they grew back. i think it was getting rid of the damaged part of the gill. maybe this could be what is happening. or maybe it has been caused by the salt baths? im not sure.

Elsa's toenails were white when I brought her then they turned black around a year ago.

Its only now since she's been ill that they have turned white again.

oh. thats very weird. maybe her hormaones are all over the place....? lol. someone else on the forum night have come across this or know what it is but im afraid i dont.

What do people think about the veins on the top of her head and also her eyes possibly receding?

How will I know when she is well enough to put her back into the tank with my new axie?

Not having seen her before she became ill I can't say that her eyes look sunken in to me.

Instead of her eyes being "sunken in" could it be that her head is swollen and not that her eyes are sunken?

It was probably me that asked about her veins before. I was asking then because some infections are septicemic and they cause bright red veins in patches on the body. I saw a white axolotl with some sort of septicemic infection and it had really large bright veins though one side and tail.

I have heard from other members that when white and gold axolotls are kept in the fridge their veins become more noticeable so please don't worry about me talking about veins.

I have an axolotl with a "different" shaped face than my others and he has the folds next to his eyes like yours does.
Here is his picture

40113.jpg

I have no idea why the toes would go from black to white, but I have noticed that my golden female who is a year old had all black toes on one foot and now has only 1 black toe on that foot.

Hopefully someone who knows what could be going on will post
happy.gif

I brought a new axolotl today, its quite a lot smaller than Elsa but she's really placid - I've never seen her snap at anything so figured it would be okay.

I introduced the pair and they had a 'sniff' at each other and that was it, they basically ignored each other after that.

Anyway, I then went on here and read someone's post saying I should wait until Elsa is completely cured before keeping them together so I've separated them again.

How will I know when Elsa is well enough to let her in the tank with Elmo (my new white albino)?

You should also quarantine the new one to make sure it's not sick and is not going to reinfect the already-sick axolotl.

When Elsa is no longer deteriorating, and she shows signs of gill growth and normal behavior, you can probably figure her cured.

However, if she had a fungal infection, and it's all cleared up, you may have a septicemic issue. She doesn't look swollen or anything though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back