Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Changing color

B

bookie

when i first got my axie about 2 weeks ago. he was a nice black color. but now hes turing brown...to a very light brown...im scared....is he stressed dien what..

J

joan

If you've been keeping him in a dark fridge, he's probably just adjusting to the dark. Mine are always lighter in the morning. I noticed this too when I was keeping them in the basement. I would come down to do the general stuff, and they were much lighter than when I left. It's normal.

C

claire

my leucistic changes colour all the time. sometimes he is very white in colour, sometimes he has a tinge of yellow and other times he goes pinky in colour. lol. i dont think my wildtype changes colour. she is darker sometimes but that might be when there isnt much light in the room.

B

bookie

well i just kinda notice this morning when my little bro said something about his color. he looks healthy though. no bumps no fungus. no curved end tail. but his tail is kinda wavy at the top. is that wrong? but i dont keep him in a fridge. i keep him in my room. since its real cold and im afraid the water will get to cold in the fridge and i dont want my mom freaking out again... so the water stays around 65F and at night around 60F. lol yes my room is real cold. full blase air. but there a window across the room directly in front of the tank. i always keep my lights off in the morning. my room light is kinda dim not to bright..

B

bookie

oh but his color doesnt look solid like it used to. its like he got clear spots on him now. well on his tail and his body kinda spekly like someone spray paint him. i hope to get pics soon

C

claire

the wavy thing is fine! its only when the tip of the tail is curved when you should do something about it. when the fin goes all wavy it is because the tail is being lifted up slightly.
happy.gif

C

claire

cant really explain it.lol.his body stays in the same position but his tail is moved up a bit. does that make sense?lol. i wouldnt worry about the colour change. do you know old he is? and how big he is?

B

bookie

lol no but ok...well i dont know how old he is but i think very young. when i first got him he was almost 2 in. now he about... a little over 2 inch. probly 2 and 1/3. not that big...

C

claire

oh right well that explains everything! lol. when they are this small and young their colour can change.
happy.gif

B

bookie

thanks every one yall been helpful. its just the cycling kicks BIG BOOTY. so how i dechorinate the water w/o putting AMMO LOCK.

C

claire

i know im not looking forward to waiting a month to cycle my new tank when i get it! lol. i de-chlorinate my water by just leaving it to stand for 24 hours+ .you can also use something called tap safe that makes the water de-chlorinated straight away! hehe!

C

cynthia

bookie - You need to purchase a dechlorinator like Stress Coat or Amquel there are lots of different brands.

You need to stop using ammolock becuase you want the ammonia in the aquarium left alone so the tank can cycle.

Ammolock:
A patented water conditioner that works instantly, in both fresh and saltwater, to detoxify ammonia and remove chlorine and chloramines. Locks up ammonia in a non-toxic form until it can be broken down by the tank's natural biological filter. Eliminates fish stress and promotes healthy gill function.

J

joan

And keep in mind that letting the water stand for 24 hours will dissipate chlorine, but not chloramines, which are still toxic and need to be removed.

Claire, why don't you just use established media in a new tank? If you move an established filter into a new tank, you don't have to do any waiting for cycling. It's already cycled. Then just put a new filter on the established tank, and it's already cycled too (because of substrate and decorations, etc.).

C

cynthia

Bookie - purchase a product that is made for dechlorinating water. Like Stress Coat or Amquel or what ever is available to you there.

(Message edited by cynorita on July 27, 2005)

B

bookie

ok. ill try...but this place dosnt have much. i think i might get serious when i get back to the states

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!