Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very sick

L

leigh

my black axie hasnt eaten for over 2 weeks now. i have checked the water, changed the water, tried all different types of food, nothing. it also has lost its tail fin and is now just a tail, and is very skinny from not eating. any sugestions?

A

anne-marie

Three questions for you -
How long have you had the axie?
Was your tank cycled before you put your axie in it? What are your readings of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

L

leigh

ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is 10
i have had the axie for about a year along with my white one, the white one is in the same tank and doing fine, i water change every week and have tried every type of food out there. i recently put a violent bunch of feeder fish in the tank with them, but took them out after i saw what was going on, could that have contributed? i have also recently treated him for fungus

A

anne-marie

Its possible the feeder fish may have introduced a disease which has taken hold after your axies was trying to fight off the fungus. How did you end up treating the fungus?

Two weeks without food isn't too unusual for an axolotl - one of mine went for a month without food once. Is your other axolotl normal or not eating either?

I would probably separate the black one, perhaps give him salt baths and refrigerate for a few days. See if this makes any difference. The fact that your axie is skinny and still not eating makes me think it could be a bacterial infection - I had something similar ages ago with an axy that was never very healthy to begin with.

As for the tail loss, I have absolutely no idea about that. Perhaps you can post a picture so we can check it out?

(Message edited by waltona on July 02, 2005)

L

leigh

sorry, no photo i take will show him clear enough, but basicly, his tail is there, but the fin that used to suround his tail, is gone. i treated the fungus with a basic fungus and finrot remedy, b ut only gave him half the dose, but it cleared it up fine, the other axolotl is eating fine, if not more and is always growing, yet the black one has become very small and hardly moves, he used to be very active

A

anne-marie

Okay, I'm not the most knowledgeable person to deal with when it comes to disease medications and the like so all I can suggest at this stage is to separate your axy, perhaps put him in the fridge and check back here maybe tomorrow when other forum users have had a look in. Good luck.

C

cynthia

Was the axolotl healthy before you added the feeder fish?

What was the name of the medication you used to treat the fungus?

Have its gills shrunk as well as the tail fin?

I too would suggest separating the sick axolotl off into its own container and put it in the fridge. It may not be possible to save the black one but you definitely do not want to infect the other axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!