Bloted baby

K

killian

I have an axie tadpole that has filled with air!! his stomach is like a little ballon and he floats upside down in the water!!

This is the second time it has happened to him. last time it went away over night.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys, he is still floating today which is worrying as lat time it was gone the next morning, strange as none of the others ever get it. he is still very small hasnt even his front legs yet.

Does he have food available constantly? Sometime they'll swallow air if they're not being fed regularly. Before mine developed their back legs, I had food available constantly (daphnia). Try feeding him.

we actually withheld food from one that was having a similar problem and it went away. i thoroughly expected it to die, but it's doing fine now. perhaps withhold food for a couple of days?

-e

Shallow water works well for me. I have one that does this constantly. I've yet to figure out why, as the two others have no problems.

Brian - One of my juvenile axolotls was having a problem with the gas bubble. I stopped feeding it bloodworms and it hasn't had the problem since. I am not sure that is what caused or stopped it. But you may want to try it and see what happens.

Mine are now eating garden worm sections and the soft moist salmon pellets.

(Message edited by cynorita on May 15, 2005)

(Message edited by cynorita on May 15, 2005)

I've been experimenting with different conditions that might be causing it, and I've already ruled out bloodworms. I seperated him from the rest, into a tank with nothing but fresh water and a PVC pipe. I slowly added stuff from the main tank (including bloodworms), and after 2 weeks or so, there were no signs of floating problems. I put him back in the main tank 2 days ago, and woke up this morning to him floating again. So, it's time to start the process over. I'll go back to feeding him the shrimp pellets while he's seperated. THe wierdest part is, the other 2 in the same tank have not exhibited any unnatural floating.

Just a thought, any chance he's doing it deliberately to get away from nasty tank mates?

I don't think so. I haven't seen any aggressive behavior from the others, and he doesn't have any wounds. I did have a thought though. Joan suggested that he may be swallowing air because he isn't being fed enough, so he could be being out-competed for food. I think that would explain it. Sound plausible?

I rear all my axie babys individually, he has daphnia available all the time. infact I was thinking he might have eaten too much!! as I say he is still only a tadpole with front legs just starting to bud.

My axie tadpole has a gas bubble in its tummy and is floating upside down. Not too sure what to do... Any suggestions??
Thank-you

put him in a container of water with just enough water to cover him, and it should clear up in a day or two. This is most likeley cause by either you aren't feeding him enough, or he could be like mine and just swallow a lot of air for no good reason.

Thanks for the advice, i put my axie in shallow water and now two days later all is good. Thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back