Axolotls gills are gone or retracted what's up?

R

rhiannon

<font color="0000ff"><font face="courier new,courier">my axolotls lost all of her gills or at least they are really small. i'm wondering if she'll grow them back or what? i changed the water and i'm worried about her. is she going to be okay? any help would be great! thanks</font></font>

38208.jpg

Looks as though you've got yourself a tiger salamander that is morphing from its larval stage to its adult stage.

I would definitely lower the water level and give it a large amount of land area, as tiger salamanders are terrestrial. (I've got three of my own in a 100% terrestrial set-up.) You can use organic soil or cocofibers for bedding.

Check out the tiger salamander caresheet here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

Also, here's an article regarding terrestrial set-ups:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups3.shtml

Congrats on your tiger and good luck!

Rhianon, Here is a picture of a tiger salamander tank. I hope this will help you.
38211.jpg

When is an axolotl not an axolotl
lol.gif
. Wow - you lucky girl, that sal looks fantastic. We don't have things like that over here - all we got is koalas and kangaroos
yawn.gif

I wish we had Koalas and Kangaroos! They're soooo cute and noble looking! I love them!

I have heaps of them (kangaroos) on my block they are rare ones too they have white dots on there heads. the area I live in has heaps around even in the more suburban areas. once one even hoped into the shopping complex I wasn’t there though
sad.gif
no koalas, I don’t think they live anywhere in WA excepted the zoo and I have heard there is some in adventure world (theme park) I don’t know why.

Yeah, thats a tiger salamander all right. Their larvae look like axolotls, and are misnamed in some pet stores as axolotls by people who don't know any better. He needs to get out of the water within a few days or he'll drown. Drop the water level in his tank to only a few inches and give him an area of land by provinding a few rocks or scooping up the gravel at one end of the tank. Once he's come out on land on his own, you need to give him a terrarium like rheanne has pictured.

Ok Rheann I will try to get some pics this weekend I could use some of them for my assignment. But I will look like a tourist
blush.gif

It looks so cool! But yea that is definitely a tiger salamander, look at its little bug eyes!! Cool sal! Probably a pretty big suprise though to have that happen when you thought you had an axolotl!

thanks everyone! you've been a big help. it's weird b/c she looked just like the axolotls. she's got spots though instead of stripes or do some of the tiger salamanders have spots.

Colour and pattern of tigers is extremely variable, so spots are normal. Larval Tigers look nearly identicle to axies, except they tend to be a uniform light greyish colour, which axolotls aren't. This isn't always the case, but if you see a light grey axolotl, chances are it's actually a tiger.

how is it going now rhianon if possible cold you send some pics thanx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back