Flakey sink on salsa & sombrero seems to breathing thought mouth and grills

T

tori-ann

frist thing that is up salsa skin seems to be coming off i taken him out of the tank put him in salt bath now in fridge

anything else i can do what is causing this?

2nd thing is sombrero seems to always have its mouth open looks like he breathing through it then his grills goe back he closes his mouth then opens it agian
he been sick had salt baths i put him back into his tank tonite cause his skin is all good
but he still skinny and now this mouth things
thanks for any help

now i put my other fish back in tank within hour his skin is flakey whats going on? he also has this hole thing in his head
i added a pic of my pink one u can see the hole orange fish skins seems to be peeling off i tested water ph is 7.0 and no ammonia they both had salt bath tonite and r both in the fridge not in the same bowl
any ideas?
37167.jpg

All I can suggest for now is to keep them in the fridge and keep up with the salt baths. Make sure the concentration is right (3 teaspoons of salt with 2 liters of water,mke sure the salt is all disolved before you put the axie in, and let him soak for 10 minutes).

Can you get a clearer picture of the hole in his head? If your camera has a macro function, try using that. I know fish can get a disease called Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE), more commonly known as hole in the head, but I'm not sure if axies can get it. Does he have similar holes along his lateral line (you'll notice this as a little line or crease down his side)? Unfortunately, there is no real cure for HLLE, but if you can stop it from progressing, they might just be able to regenerate the damage.

Lastly, what are your water conditions like? We need to know your temprature, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, and hardness.

the hole is from skin pilling of his head :p
ph level 7.0
no ammoria
temp is 18 but when they both in tank was 17
the dude did all test on my water last week and said my water is all good he only got the hole ontop of head nowhere else he got it tonite when he skin started peeling agian
they both in frigde how long do i do this?
im also gonna to do water change tomorrow floating skin in tank isnt nice
should i add anything to tank water and how do i stop this from happening agian the poor walking fish with the hole is having bad luck he so skinny wont eat now this
sad.gif

thanks brian

Tori - It would be a good idea to purchase a fresh test kit so you know the readings are accurate and you are not dependant on someone elses kit. The readings last week may not be the same this week.

How often are you doing tank maintenance? What kind of tank maintenance do you usually do?

I read that axolotls kept in plastic containers (plastic grows bacteria really well) get the sluffing skin on the toes and feet if the plastic containers are not cleaned quite frequently.

Is there anything else living in the tank with the axolotls?

What kind of filter do you have?

could be the contanier then i put them in a bowl that isnt plastic
nothing else in tank
did ph was 7.0
no ammoria
stingray fliter i have and corner fliter
once a week i do water changes
check ph and ammoria
i do my own testing of water to make sure i took it to the guy in the shop
my tank is 40litres btw
thanks for all info

also wanted to add should i think about getting furan-2 or MYXAZIN

Does your filter cause current in the tank? This could be stressing them, making them more suseptible to skin problems. Keep up with salt baths and fridge. And give the tank an overall good cleaning. Vacuum any gravel, clean up any algae. And definately buy yourself a good test kit!

fliter has been in there the whole time i had them they where never sick till few weeks back
my orange one is a new one :p
dont think there is a current
i clean the whole tank roof to bottom and change over all fliter stuff aswell so how long the salt baths?

Did you quarantine the new one before introducing it into the tank? If not, it's very likely that it brought a disease into your tank and infected the other one.

Now that you've dismantled the tank and cleaned it, you need to let it cycle again.

Keep up salt baths for a week or so. By then you should see improvement.

ok cycle tank now added a plant hope all goes well thanks guyz keep u updated

Keep in mind that cycling can take upwards (and even sometimes beyond) a month.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back