Fungus?

C

claire

does anyone know how much salt i need to add to an asda washing up bowl as i dont know how much it holds and i think one of my babies may have a fungal infection on the tip of his gill.my female bit it ages ago and it went all bent at the end of it.can anyone reply quickly as i can only check the net tonight until i go to my boyfriends and he doesnt have the internet!

thanks in advance

Salt bath for fungus:
2 liters of water 2 teaspoons of salt
soak for 10 min 2 times a day.

Salt mix for wounds:
Place individual in its own clean container of cool water. 2 liters of water 1 teaspoon of salt.

Keep at lower temperatures 5-15 °C

I have no idea how much water your container holds.

My axolotl Seth has a fur growing on his tail. I have given him 3 salt baths in the last 3 days but I don't know if it is doing anything. I brought him from a pet shop and I think one of the other axolotl's in his tank had bitten off the end of his tail. Can someone please give me some ideas to help him cause I love him and am worried about him.

Hi Josh, I can't help you much but check out axolotl.org site for further info. I suppose by fur, you mean white furry? Keep up the salt baths, twice a day. Keep checking back here because people will help as they log on. Good luck.

Claire, you can create the solution in another container (one that you do know the volume of), and then pour the water into the dish.

Josh - It is suggested to give him 2 salt baths a day. You should evenly space them like 8 am and 8 pm. Use 2 liters of water and 2 teaspoons of salt. Make sure the salt is dissolved all the way before placing your axolotl into the bath. Salt bath for 10 min and no longer. Measure the salt carefully and do not use extra. Salt can burn axolotl skin and gills.

You may want to put him in the fridge, especially if you do not see improvement in the injured area, or if it becomes worse.

If you do put him in the fridge put an extra container of water in the fridge to salt bath him in so the water is the same temperature as the water he is in.

Once he has cooled down in the fridge he will become slower and may not desire to eat very often. This is normal.

putting him in the fridge - would that be to cold for him? what kind of salt do i use? please help me.

PS. Here is a picture of the little guy. I brought him from the pet shop and he was very skinny. Now i am starting to fatten him up and he is getting a little gut on him. This photo is from the day i got him by the way.
34942.jpg

Aquarium salt is preferred for the baths. Having said that, Claire uses table salt, I believe but whatever you do, as Cynthia says make sure it is all dissolved before using it. Putting him in the fridge is said to slow down the infection and has been used successfully by other posters to this site. Temps between 5 - 15 deg Celcius are ideal. Check the threads under sick axie to get an idea of what it's all about.

Now Seth has white spots on his gills and I'm really worried about him. Nothing seems to be killing the fungus. How long do you have to leave him in the fridge for? Do you have any other suggestions of fungus treatments I could get in a pet shop in Australia. Please write back

Josh, put him in the fridge now. Then relax and read other posts under the "sick axie" topics because they will help you.

Panic over people! he didnt have fungus phewwww *wipes sweat from forehead*. must have been gooey muck in his tank! but the lil red bits on the gills on the bent gill have disappeared at the end. but the gill doesnt seem as bent as it was before so maybe it has done that to heal it????

Josh - your axie looks really skinny. dunno if its if he is small or something. how much do you feed him and how big is he?

thank you Cynthia Gardner and Anne-Marie Walton because my axie's dose not have and more fungus on him and yes he is starting to eat again and he's tail is starting to grow again thank for your help

Good to hear, Josh.

Do you guys ever feel like an axolotl superhero team? Like the Geek Squad, who fixes computers in a crisis... You're the Axie Squad.

lol.gif
. Interesting you mention that. I refer to my axolotls as the "Axies of Evil", you know, like George Bush. They're not really evil, but they can take a bit of work to look after.

hi
i have just got an axie, and at the top of my tank around the edges there is some white phomy stuff. i don't know what it is, can you help me?

On the glass itself, sounds like water (salts??) residue. Normal.

josh that is one skinny axie, hope he gets fatter what does his diet consist of?

Hey everyone I have some bad news. Seth died the other day. I knew he wasn't going well and when I woke up one morning he was just floating sideways. His fungus finally went away and then he just wouldn't eat. I tried everything and was desperate for him to eat but he just wouldn't. I am so sad. I know he was very skinny. That's how he was in the pet shop. I don't think the shop looked after him very well at all. I asked them if they were feeding the axolotls properly and they said they were, but there were 2 fat ones and 2 tiny ones like Seth in the tank. I think the big ones were stealing all the food but the pet shop was too stupid to separate them and save the small ones. I felt bad so that is why I brought him. I fed him all kinds of things from bloodworms to pellets, to worms from the garden. I'm just glad that he had a good life after I got him away from that pet shop. I now have a new wild type axolotl that I brought from a pet shop that was selling healthy axolotls. His name is Dibbits and I will get some photos of him soon. I love him and will do everything to keep him healthy.

Seth - Rest in Peace

Whoops I've probably confused you here. Josh is my boyfriend, and he wrote that post but cause it was from my computer it was written under my name, so yeah!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back