Axies sick all the time?

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
Okay, maybe its just becuase im ready thru the forums all the time but it just seems like axies are always sick and are hard to take care of is this true? mAYBE im just worried becuase i want my axies (when i get them) to be healthy and happy! Anyway thanks

I feel the same way, Andrew. i don't have my Axie yet, but I want to do everything I can to make him happy! Preserving wildlife is awsome! I love the idea of taking care of the little guys. When I get mine, i'm really going to pamper my little buddy. I have two cats that are spoiled rotten and I just love them to death. I wouldn't know the answers to your questions though. I'm new at this my self. Good luck with your little buddy when you get him/her!
happy.gif

no theyre not always sick. its just i think this site has soooo many members that when a axie does get sick they come on here. they are actually really easy to take care of as far as pets go. they dont need feeding everyday and just need minimal maintanance. salt baths pretty much fix anything and if its internal youll have to find a vet that can handle them!! but overall i think theyre pretty hardy little dudes, and lots of fun too!

I find em really easy to look after. Water quality is essential however. pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are all really important. Also, proper feeding - not feeding live fish which may introduce disease. Also temperature. Sounds like a lot to look out for, but once you've got it all in balance, it tends to stay that way, with regular water changes.

Also, I have learnt so much from this site. This also makes it easy to look after your axies in a good way.
yin-yang.gif

i run a colony of 30-50 axolotls, and in the last year we've had about 4 (maybe 5?) serious illnesses. not many considering the number of beasts. the good news is, most axo illnesses are treated by 1) salt baths, 2) fridge, and if things get really dire, 3) nitrofurazone.

good luck, e

I have had a lot of axolotls over a lot of years and have had just one axolotl with serious illness. Last year I had shipped to me a young axolotl that apparently came with an infection I was unable to treat properly and it died.

I think axolotls are actually quite durable. There are a lot of heat caused problems on this forum followed by water quality problems. I think that new axolotl owners are given poor advice by some pet stores and that causes problems as well.

If you know and give axolotls the things they require they are usually quite hardy. That is one of the reasons I think this forum is so important for new axolotl owners. You can not give the right care to an axolotl if you don't know what that care consists of.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back