Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Shes developed a red face which is starting to flake!

C

christine

The water quality is fine but too hot, we have managed to cool it down with ice as suggested on the main website but i am still not sure what to do now, Troll hasn't been eating much lately, we now think that is due to the heat, its a bank holiday weekend and we don't know anyone we can call. Any suggesting greatfully received! Please!

C

cynthia

Christine - give the axolotl a salt bath then put the axolotl in the fridge in a clean container of water with a lid.

Keep extra containers of water in the fridge so you have water the same temp for salt baths, and water changes.

Salt baths should be given 2 times a day for 10 min and no longer. Time them, as salt can burn the axolotl. Measure the salt carefully.

Salt bath: 2 teaspoons of non iodized salt dissolved in 2 liters of cool water. Make sure the salt is all dissolved before you put the axolotl in.

While your axolotl is in the fridge it will cool down and slow down. It wont be as hungry and will not need to eat as often. Keep the water clean.

C

christine

Thanks for the information, how long do I need to keep her in the fridge for?

L

lisa

It all depends on how she's looking. If the redness and flaking dissapears quickly she shouldn't need to stay in the fridge too long.
Try for a week at first, just remember to change a bit of her water with fresh dechlorinated water every few days.
After a week, take her tub of water out of the fridge, and let her warm in the tub to room temperature.
Give her a few hours to adjust and see if she's hungry.
If it's possible use this time to move the original tank to a new cooler location.
Good luck, I'm sure she'll be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1