Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Monster's not happy

J

jennie

I really need some help with my sick axolotl.

When I first got Monster six months ago (age about 1 year) he swallowed some gravel and wasn’t swimming around anymore. I quickly replaced the gravel with sand and Monster puked out about 4 pieces of gravel and seemed to recover.

Then a few weeks later I noticed that he was very floaty and stuck at the top of his tank. He was very distressed so I cooled the water down and tried to restrict the flow of the filter as much as I could (I read on this website that a strong flow can distress axolotls). After a day or so he pucked out two more pieces of gravel.

Gradually, over a period of a few months he got less floaty and it only seemed to occur when he had not done a poo in a while. But over the past couple of days he has started getting very floaty again and even worse, he seems to be floating a bit on one side.

He has still been eating well (8 bloodworms a night) and I cannot see anything physically wrong with him. But now he really does not seem happy.

I have lowered the level of the water and tried to make it cooler (adding new cold water and putting in a plastic bottle filled with ice) - however he is still floaty and tilting to one side.

Should I try the fridge (& if so how long)? Should I try not feeding him / feeding him more? The shop where I bought him have not been very useful and keep telling me to keep the water warm!

Please – does anyone have any suggestions?

A

anne-marie

How is he looking overall? Normal or swollen? I had an axy die of an oedema ages ago and it was really swollen before that.

J

jennie

He's maybe a tiny bit swollen around the tummy, but I wouldn't say "very" swollen. Also. he's never lost his appetite and always seems happy to eat food.

E

elisheba

this may not be a popular solution, but i would try not feeding him for a week or so. if he's still got gravel or something else he's trying to pass, then he's probably not really digesting what you're giving him, and he might do well to spend his digestive energy on the obstruction.

on the other hand, it's possible he needs bulk to help "wash" the obstruction out. perhaps others have suggestions?

good luck, e

A

anne-marie

Lower the water level and lower the temp. What temperature is it now - you definitely don't want warm water (Pet Shop advice is nearly always wrong) He is eating and that is a good sign. Can you tell if he actually passing it or regurgitating it? If he's throwing it back up, stop feeding for a few days.

S

sharn

oh this happened to me a little while ago. if i see them floating on their sides for more than two hours i put them in the fridge. haha i just get all scared and it always works for me. i had my little dude in their over night and the next day he was fine, no probs ever since. i have no idea about his gravel problem though. most axies pass it out but some dont and it causes major probs. good luck jennie

P

paige

I realised my little Sonic was eating his stones when he became real bloated and dark in the stomach. I put him in the bath for a week or so, so I could see if he was going to the toilet or not. He got so much exercise in the bath and pooped non stop for a few days! So many rocks came out. I think his system is clean now and I have replaced his rocks with bigger ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1