Help! Cloacal Prolapse!

L

lisa

I just woke up this morning to find my golden albino is having a cloacal prolapse. I've been reading previous posts and I figure the best thing to do is put her on her own and keep an eye on her. I'm researching vets in Melbourne but I seriously doubt I'm going to find a vet who knows what their doing.
Argh! My poor little Steve.
Oh well, fingers crossed it goes back in by itself. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice?

I am so sorry to hear about your axolotl Lisa. I have read about this happening in reptiles but I am not sure how you would deal with it when the affected animal is an axolotl. Perhaps if you can't find a vet and it doesn't go back in by itself you could try doing it yourself. Other than that I can't give you any advice. Hopefully someone on here who has experienced a cloacal prolapse in an axolotl will be able to help you.

I've got my fingers crossed for your poor axie.

Lisa... i know of one person on this forum you could contact that has had an axie with a prolapse.. Leighton Pritchard.. Hopefully he will be able to give you some pointers

Good luck

Move the Axolotl to a sterile environment, the prolapse should right itself in a short period of time but needs to be kept very clean until it does so. If you can not find a vet to take a look at it then it is possible to reinsert the prolapsed tissue yourself, this can be done very carefully with a cotton bud, care must be taken to ensure that the prolapsed tissue is clean and does not get twisted when reinserting.

YAY! She's OK! I got up this morning and the prolapse has dissapeared. I'm so relieved, I thought I was going to be sending her to the big lake in the sky...

But yes, thankyou everyone for your replies. I just put her in a big plastic tub with some large pebbles on the bottom. I added a little bit of salt to the water and just kept an eye on her. Thank god it fixed itself. *wipes her brow*

Hi Lisa, I'm glad your axolotl recovered without intervention - it's horribly distressing to see a cloacal prolapse, and it's great that the condition appears to have righted itself without anything drastic happening. As Kim says, keep an eye on her, but remember that it's possible that it can be rectified if it's persistent.

We were given some advice after the event as to possible causes of the prolapse. Peely (our axolotl with the problem) appeared on x-ray to have swallowed a lot of sand, and still retained a few pebbles from the brief time she was kept with mouth-sized pebbles. She had also just lain eggs, and produced a fairly large lump of faeces. These, and a possible calcium deficiency in her diet (also picked up on x-ray) were thought to be contributing factors that all came together.

Just to summarise what happened with Peely - we noticed that she had a prolapse on the Friday night after passing faeces, and came on here in a bit of a panic on the chatroom. The next day, we found a vet who would agree to take a look at her, and in consultation with the Small Animal hospital in Edinburgh, attempted to replace the cloaca with a cotton bud. This was a much more complicated procedure than it sounds, as axolotl and cloaca are both quite slippy, axolotl skin is quite friable. Even with three vets and two concerned owners helping, the cloaca could not be replaced.

We were referred directly to the Small Animal hospital, where Peely was seen by their exotics vet (nice guy, BTW) and over a week, they replaced her cloaca a couple of times, and kept observing her to make sure it didn't pop out. We brought her home, and she relapsed again. Back to the Vet School we went, and they tried replacing the cloaca again (also attempting to bind the sand with orally-administered compounds). This time, it held. Peely's now doing fine, but required a lot of attention immediately after the treatment - myxazin and salt baths, application of topical (there's a neat trick for avoiding skin damage while doing that involving wet incontinence pads) and oral antifungals.

Many apologies for the late arrival, I wish I could have been more reassuring a bit earlier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back