Axie not eating

L

lauren

Hi,
I have had my 2 axies for about 3 months an the black one (sooty) has had a bit of flaky but it was fixed with "fungone-x"...she was eating normally and now isnt eating and hasn't eaten in 2 weeks, she isnt skinny and the other axie is eating like a pig..can anyone tell me whats going on?
what other information is needed?

axies do go off their food from time to time, not sure how long is normal though sorry, have you tried other foods? they love earthworms, or when mine arent eating i give them a bit of bacon, smelly foods work well i find

i have tried different foods that are in their diets, like mealworms, bloodworms, pellets, earthworms and crickets but it just isnt and doesnt even go fo it or show any interest in it at all... thanks for ur help.

ohohoh lol just had a idea. is the water cold? no your in australia so it wont be... im sure you already no about their metabolism etc. maybe hes not eating cuz hes having trouble digesting something, has he pooped lately? maybe hes constipated..??? lol

HIya, I had an axy go through this a few months ago. She stopped eating after a lingering fungal infection. I think it may have something to do with continuous warm temps in Australia.
Unfortunately I couldn't figure out the problem, I bought every food under the sun hoping my girl would eat but to no avail. After frantically reading everything I could find the only solution I came up with was to put her in suspended animation in the fridge for a week or two, then return her back to normal temp in hopes this would stimulate her appetite.
My axy was too far gone to save and I had to put her down, but by the sounds of it you caught it early. If she doesn't start eating soon, I would try the fridge method.
Just take a small container filled with her room temp tank water and put her in it. Then put the axy and container in the fridge to slowly cool down. You can cover the container if you wish. She wont need to eat while she's in the fridge, but you will need to change a little bit of the water every day or two, with fridge temp treated water of course. After a week or two take the container from the fridge and let it warm up to room temp slowly before returning her to her tank. And hopefully she will feel like eating.
I really hope you can get her eating again, good luck.
happy.gif

well if it has anything to do with the temps ill take her to my boyfriends place (brendan) and put it in with his axies...he has a big tank and a water cooler...when she gets better ill take her again...Sorry about your axie and thanks for the advice.

Lauren

Lauren by all means put her somewhere else but don't dump her in with another set. Keep her quarantined a while just to make sure she doesn't pass some lingering infection to your bfs.

ok then thanks.
She still hasnt eaten and her skin is starting to peel a little like it was a while ago, so ill treat the water again with fungus (fungone-x) stuff...

well...this morning before i went to school, my mum found my sick axie had died...i noticed before i left to go to school and this afternoon i buried her in my garden, it was sad but im sure i will live. Now my big axie can look after brendans baby axie in axolotl heaven lol...

My axolotl hasn't eaten for 3 weeks and i have tried him on different foods.How do i get him eating again.
The water temp. is 24 degrees celcius

Drop the water temp! 24C is dangerously high for axies. Before you can do anything with them, you need to get the temp below 20C, and ideally between 14C-18C. Remove any heaters from the tank, get it out of any direct sunlight. If that doesn't drop it enough, or neither of those apply, float bottles of ice in the tank, and point a fan at the surface of the water. You can also try moving it to a cooler room, like in a basement. Once the temp has dropped enough, your axies should eat.

Brian, my tank is often at that temp sits on around 22 most of the time sometimes it is just not possible to get any lower, depends where you live it gets REAL hot here and I have my tannk away from sunlight, no heaters or lights and an airconditioner that is on 24/7 with the door closed to a very small room. It sucks but she has been happy and healty now for two years with me, eats like a real little pig.

I could never get the tank down to 14 not even in winter it would be great though!!.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back