Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie near death I fear....please help.

P

p

Ihave a golden axie & he's very sick. Has not eaten for over a month. All his body has shrunk as a result. I put a new axie in with him that hassled him by nipping all his gills down & a portion of his tail. As a result he has an infection just showing along the bottom side of his tail (little line of brown).I have given him a few salt baths but nothing seems to work. He also has swelling under bottom lip but no swelling or nodules to be seen. He's now just floating constantly at the top of the tank. Should I separate the two of them? Is putting him in fridge advisable? What happens when he goes from fridge to tank as far as temp concerned. How often can you give these guys salt baths? Once a day every day till better? so many questions....so little time ....dont think he'll survive much longer. It's almost like he's starving himself to death. Please help. Paul
sad.gif

A

anne-marie

I would separate him from the new tank mate and putting him in the fridge to slow down any infection would seem to be a good idea.
See thread in this section "Sea salt and salt baths" for salt bathing info. Good luck.

N

natasha

Have you tried feeding a live worm? it helps stimulate their appetite if you don't normally feed them, I had an axie that didn't eat for ages and she died due to heart failure, if things a really bad I would go to a vet if you can find one that knows anything about axies.

P

p

Anne-Marie & Natasha....Thankyou for your comments. Will see how they go. When taken out of fridge you would let the water slowly go back to room temperature before adding back to tank right? When I tried to feed him last night he swam furiously away all freaked out & started thrashing about the tank! Not a happy chappy at the moment. It would be a pity to lose him...I've had him for about 6 years now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1