Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help floating axie! nearly dead

S

sharn

help please! my golden albino (10cm) has started swimming lots and floating on his side with his gills mushed against his head on the air side and his leg sticking out of the water!! hes swimming more than usual and bites the water lots. i have taken out most of the water with 5-6cm left in there. the temps fine. im concerned its the water. can i put him in with the bigger axies? 12-20cm? i might do that but put a divider in. i rubbed his tummy but it didnt help. he seems to be giving out lots of air from his mouth. HELP

N

natasha

Have you tried the salt bath? unsure if it will help in your situation.....if it gets really bad I have heard of people putting their axie in the fridge overnight, you might want to look into that first though if you search around on here there was some previous posts about it.

E

elisheba

I agree with natasha. give a salt bath and put him in the fridge in water that just barely covers him. can you tell from the way he's swimming whether he could have injured his leg? or maybe tail?

good luck , e

C

cynthia

No don't put him in with the other axolotls. Put him in a small container of their water if you think his water is bad. I would give him a 10 min salt bath then put him in the fridge, as was already suggested.

S

sharn

i put him in the fridge last night with some of the other axolotls water (because they havent had any probs with it) and hes fine now. i put him back in his tank and im going to keep a close eye on him!! he pooped heaps so im wondering if he might have been constipated. when i got him he had a bit of gravel in his tummy but i couldnt see anything in it. thanks guys

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1