Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The anchor worms make an unwelcome return

A

amy

im sure you all know by know about the recurring problem i have had with anchor worms on my axies. i dont even know where the heck they came from but anyway... i thought they had gone but the other day i went to see them and what should i see but an anchor worm. then i took a closer look and realised they were riddled! again! i have tried octozin, lifebearer and salt baths but nothing works! what else can i try?? i feel completely helpless and i feel so responsible for them trying to commit suicide. bailey has been trying to put his foot behind his head for a couple of weeks now and it really looks like hes trying to rip his head off, and i wouldnt blame him. if these things are ticking me off, i cant even begin to imagine what its doing to them
sad.gif

B

brian

find a medication called methyblue. Should clear it right up, and it's axie safe.

A

amy

methyblue. is that a product name? i havent come across it over here. i guess if you have it in canada i could get one of my friends to send it to me. thank you
happy.gif
ill keep an eye out for it on ebay or something!

A

amy

oh! i already have that! yay! should i still dose them at half the reccommended or is it fine to use it at the full concentration? thanks so much for the help!

C

claire

does anyone have a pic of an anchor worm on an axie so i know what they look like if i come across them. thanx.

A

amy

i have some at home. ill get some pics of the axies later on with them. they just look like tiny treads sticking out of their skin and gills.

C

claire

thanks
happy.gif

i think i may have seen one of these on one of my axies. i noticed something sticking out of her tail (the thin bit that runs down the back).it was really small about 2-3mm. i saw this about a 3 weeks ago.then i was looking at her again on monday night and i saw what i think was the same thing on either her foot or toe.cant remember which.could this be an anchor worm? and how did they get in my tank???

thanks again.

C

claire

thanks Cynthia.im not sure if the little thing on my axie looks like that.plus i think there is only the one.ive looked all over my axie and neva saw more than one.ill check at the weekend though and report back.lol.

(Message edited by clairey_beary on February 24, 2005)

A

amy

ive never seen any on my axies that look quite as bad as the one in that picture. usually theyre a lot smaller and paler than that. i didnt find a good pic of one of the worm but i will try as soon as i can. what i did find was a pic of one of the 'pimples' they cause on the axies skin. they have LOADS of these at the moment and theyre starting to look like blisters. such a shame. sorry the pics a bit distorted. i took it at an angle.
31377.jpg

C

claire

ill try to get a pic of my axie with this potential anchor worm on her on saturday when i see her next.

A

amy

fingers crossed for you it isnt an anchor worm. the methylene blue doesnt seem to be working!!! how long does it take to work? i am supposed to be using this at half dose arent i?

C

cynthia

fingers crossed for you it isnt an anchor worm. the methylene blue doesnt seem to be working!!! how long does it take to work? i am supposed to be using this at half dose arent i?

Amy - It has only been 2 days, medication takes longer than that to work. I am also wondering if while the anchor worms are attached they are unkillable with medication in the water, since their heads are buried into the axolotl.

You need to "google" the life cycle of anchor worms and medicate accordingly. I did one quick search and it said the egg sack from one anchor worm can contain as many as 700 babies. You need to medicate long enough to kill the anchor worms as they hatch.

It has been suggested that axolotls be treated at half the dose suggested for fish. If you see no results after a week to ten days of treatment, you may want to consider increaseing the dose slightly on the next round of treatment.

You might want to contact indiana university via email and see what medication they suggest for treating anchor worms on axolotls.

Does anyone have any experience with getting rid of anchor worms on axolotls or fish? Anyone anyone? echo echo echo....

(Message edited by cynorita on February 25, 2005)

A

amy

i was reading on goldfishconnection.com about treating anchor worms and they said when you pluck it, you should dab it with hydrogen peroxide. would it be ok for axies at a diluted concentration? they have a lot of nasty uclers happening now and tias gills are rapidly disolving.

C

cynthia

Amy - I have not read anything on peroxide and axolotls but axolotl.org says you can use mercurochrome.

A

amy

i suppose i could try it very diluted. what have i got to lose? ill tell you how it goes. i have no clue what that mercurochrome stuff is

C

cynthia

I remember mercurochrome from when I was a little kid. It came in a small brown bottle with a glass applicator in the lid. It was applied to minor scratches and left a "red/orange" stain.

C

claire

i dont think my axies have anchor worms! phew for now! i couldnt find any when i saw them at the weekend but ill keep looking just in case!

A

amy

one of the people on my fish forum said to try the bucket theory again. put them in a smallish bucket and change the water 100% every day while medicating with a med that works. i have one that kind of works so ill give that a go while plucking and moving them about. fingers crossed this is going to work this time!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1