Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill's srinking and lot of swimming

D

daniel

Hi

Just In the last couple of day's my golden albeno
has been acting realy weird she is swimming all day I think (Because i'm at work} But when i get home it simm's non stop it seem's to be swimming up the top of the tank and when it stop's it sort of hang at the top but not floating because it sinks to the botom every so often. and the gill's seem's to have surnk a bit and when it swimm's around it some times like kick's it gill's, it look heath but i don't no what rong please help (water test are good) PLEASE HELP!!!! thanks

Dan

p.s what sould i do treat it with a salt bath or some think else? thanks

C

celia

Salt baths are good for many things with the axies so it may be an idea but a salt bath won't work unless the tank is in optimal condition, I can think of two possible causes since the water condition is fine... 1) temperature. You're in Melbourne, if it's anything like up here it is suckily hot (I have lost two axies over summer and am fighting to keep my third), they have gotten fungus and columnaris. Fungus seems to like the warmer water and stressed axies (who are axies in water over 20 degrees) don't heal well. If you can't keep your tank in a cool room (if this is the problem of course) then try floating frozen bottles of ice on the top of the tank, watch the temp though to ensure that there isn't too big a fluctuation, some suggest fans blowing across the top of the water though, personally that hasn't worked for me but others swear by it.

2) water flow, if the water flow is too strong in the tank then the little fellas get stressed and stress will show like that.

However, from the sounds of it yours is displaying very similar symptoms to what mine did. I would suggest if you could take a photo of the little fella and see if someone here can't pick the problem.

Oh yeah one other thing, the beef/heart stuff, that makes them float too, it's not good for them so diet could also be an issue.

I'm betting temperature and possibly some sort of fungal or bacterial infection (which will need at least salt baths and may need further treatment depending on the culprit).

Hope this was of help.

Cheers
C

D

daniel

thanks for the reply Celia m
I 'v cheaked the temp it's at 23c but that's only beenlike that for one day when i notice it acting strang the water was only 18-19c and just in the las day it got hot ut that doesent seem to change anything.

With the water flow its not that because i'v got a spray bar faced agenst the wall

Food I don't feed beef heart i only feed axolotl pellets,bloodworms,earthworms and that rely it! so i don't think that the prob

and there's no fungal on the gill's that i can see the gill's look fine just smaller than normal wird hu!! that what i don't understand evey thing seem's normal! o and the other axolotl is fine and there not small ther 27cm each that's why i dont under stand why this is happed all of a sudden PLEASE HELP

Dan

C

claire

what do you mean by kicks its gills? do you means flicks them like as if the wind has blown through them then gone back to normal (sorry about the example) or do you mean kick as in using its feet? my axies do the first one.that one is normal as far as i know.i think its because they are pushing the deoxygenated water passed their gills and getting the oxygenated water to breathe in through their gills.

one of my axie swims all the time, she mainly swims lots on a morning and on a night time before and during i go to bed. she also does the floating at the top of the water then sinks down to the bottom. i think this is normal. but someone on here will tell you if it means something is up with your axie.

the shrinking gills problem i couldnt really help you with.it could mean there isnt enough oxygen in the water. are your golden albino's gills lighte red in colour? i think this mean the axie is not getting lots of oxygen.i remember eading it somewhere but i forgot where and was a long time ago so dont even know if it is true.

S

sophia

i got a similar prob to dan my axy's gills have shrunk dramatically - he has been sick but with some parasite thingie the other one died - as one of my other posts will tell you the water temp is pretty high like 25 deg

bloody brisbane

D

daniel

Hi thank's for the reply's

with the kicking of the gill's it some times the the 2nd thing you said Claire it only dose it some times thow, it hasent had any fungal and it eating fine it's a bit of a porker if anything!!

and for the gill's the look pritty good i have an air stone in the tank as well. I don't under stand there is nothing rong to make this happen help

thank's Dan

D

daniel

Hi thank's for the reply's

with the kicking of the gill's it some times the the 2nd thing you said Claire it only dose it some times throw, it hasent had any fungal and it eating fine it's a bit of a porker if anything!!

and for the gill's the look pritty good i have an air stone in the tank as well. I don't under stand there is nothing rong to make this happen help

thank's Dan

C

claire

oh right.im sure what kicking at the gills with its feet means then.sorry.i think there is another post on here bout someone who had the same problem.maybe you could have a look and see if anyone suggested what it could have been.

the subject of the post is "fluffy bits on gills falling off"

(Message edited by clairey_beary on February 24, 2005)

S

sharn

hey yeah thats my post. he did that when he was super sick, sorta looked like he was scratching it, some people thought it could be some sort of parasite annoying him because he was covered in heaps of teeny bumps, i salt bathed him twice a day and it went away and he hasnt done it since.

(Message edited by sharn on February 25, 2005)

J

jarred

I agree. A salt bath couldn't hurt so try doing that a couple of times a day. Be sure to keep us updated on how your axie does.

C

carl

mine always flicks its gills especially when he is eating that is normal its to receive oxygen i fink but i agree try a salt bath

D

daniel

HELP my other axolotl has problems now to

I came into my room and noticed while i was on my computer my other axolotl was trying to throw up and it did like all of the pellets that i had feed it the night before i don't now why it happened it look's fine now but i don;t now what happened maybe i feed him to much or something? it just did it out if the blue my water is in good con beacuse i just tested p.h,g.h,no2,no3and nh4 it all came up good please help maybe i'v got a disese in the tank would there be any thing that i could put inthe tank like medisian or some that would not affect the bactaria in the filler
could some one please help some thing wired's happening and i dont no what it is, it just doe's not make sence.

Thanks Dan

S

sharn

i read sometimes axolotls vomit up their food if they know they cant digest it in time before it starts to rot in their guts. keep going with the salt baths, how often do you feed them?

M

maria

From my experience, axies tend to vomit mainly when really stressed or the conditions they are in dramatically change (in an earlier post someone mentioned that their axolotl did this after being put in a new tank with "new" water). Also they can vomit if they overeat or if the water they are in suddenly gets a lot cooler.

Hopefully he's feeling better!

D

daniel

I think it's had to much food I hope it look fine now any way! The Tank hasint got colder nor is it a new Aquarium it's about 2month's old.
Any way about the other axolotl he is still floating near the surface sometimes and the gill are still smaller but not geating worse

Thanks Dan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1