Dragoon II's having some wierd flaky stuff!!

V

vanessa

Dragoon got some flaky stuff on his chest and some are appearing on his back too (whitish colour) but the tank's fine with 0.1 Nitrite, 0 Ammonia and pH neutral (7.5). Got a short arm and when he swims, he holds it against his side and floats at top of water for nearly 3 everytime I look at him. No sign of stress is seen. Refused his dinner but did nibble a bit at the Brine Shrimp cube rather than grabbing it whole out of my fingers. Temperature is normal when I fed him. Chest IS pretty flaky so please help!!!!
uhoh.gif

My axies sometimes get this, like their slime coat or skin is flaking. I've found that salt baths and fungal treatments usually clear it up in a day or two.
Although I have been wondering what the cause of this is. Water quality doesn't seem to necisary play a factor, as most time this occurs all my test come back with 0, and ph is normal. May have to do with water hardness or temperature, but I'm only guessing.

Vanessa - what is the normal temperature in your tank?

Does it look like an injury? Or fungus?

You might want to treat him with some salt baths.

Mix 2 teaspoons of salt to 1 litre of water and soak the axolotl in it for 10 min twice a day.

Use water from your tank.

Be careful not to mix the salt too strong it can burn the gills.

Make sure your salt water is mixed up well and the salt is completely dissolved before putting your axolotl in it.

Do not soak him for more than 10 min.

Thanks for the advice... I was worried for a bit that it might be bad. Mum thought it was Velvet... but no sign has been found in the gills so... we just don't know and I'll try the salt bathing.

He's getting better!!! Getting a bit more active again so... thankyou for telling me what to do
biggrin.gif

He should be eating normal again and gaining his weight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back