Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swollen throat

D

desoree

Hi, I'm from Canberra in Australia. I have an axolotl called Rufus, he's 10 years old. I came home today to find that his throat has become really swollen, his head is tilted up from it. From what I can gather from this site, it's probably heart problems. Is there anything I can do? I'm thinking about putting him out of his misery, but am not really sure of the most humane way to go about that either. Advice would be appreciated.

M

mik

Swelling at the throat is not always symptomatic of oedema. It is is usually accompanied with swellings at the back legs and fore legs.

If you take Rufus to a vet they can listen to his heart with a monitor. Here's a piccy of Tweak. I once thought he had heart problems because of neck swellings and being incredibly ugly but the scan showed he was in fine health.
I reccommend a visit to the vet.

30800.jpg

D

desiree

Rufus went to the vet today. He was given a shot of antibiotics, but my partner has just phoned from work to say that things are not looking good (he has Rufus in a travel container sitting on his desk). He's pretty sure it's all over. Rufus was much more swollen than Tweak. The vet said he was critical anyway. But thanks so much for your advice. It all happened so fast. The first and last health problem in 10 years. Pretty sad.

K

kim

Desiree,

Sorry to here about Rufus.. Hope he pulls through.

Good luck

L

lisa

Sorry to be so morbid, I hope this isn't innapropriate. But if you are looking for a way to put him to sleep, try and find some clove oil. I was very upset at the thought of having to put my girl in the freezer still alive, but luckily I did some research and found clove oil is a natural anaesthetic for fish. Just add 5ml to a little jar of water and shake it until you create a suspension (the liquid goes white). Then add it to the water of your axie. He will just drift off to sleep over an hour or so.

D

desiree

Thanks for all your comments. Rufus had died by the time my partner picked me up from work. We took him home and had a little funeral in the backyard. I'm not sure whether or not I will get another one at this stage.

K

kim

Desiree,

Sorry for your loss, I know it can be hard to loose a loved pet that youve had for years..

But 0years was a good age.. and there may have been nothing you could have done...

After loosing one of my first axies I got another 2 and they have been fine ever since..

B

brendan

I have only had my axies for littke over 2 months and i must say i am very very attached to them. As many of my previous pets which have all passed away due to natural causes at old age it is a very sad thing to see a loved pet go.

To me a pet is more then just a pet they become a friend. I with my axies (and with previous pets) talk to them. If i have something on my mind i will share it with them. I know they cant answer back and it may sound a little wierd but meh.

A true funny thing happened this morning actually. I was just sitting infront of the tank looking at porky (albino) and i said "god im tired" and in all honesty at that moment she opened her gob and yawned.

I am sad to hear of your loss Desiree.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!