Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Velvet Disease!! (Oodinium?)

V

vanessa

Hi guys! My very first Axolotl, Dragoon, died of Velvet disease and I need to find out of how to treat it! I don't want it to happen to my next baby axolotls!!
(I'm named Dragoon in remembrance of my very cute golden axolotl)

V

vanessa

No one's telling me how?! Is there another thread here that explains how to treat Velvet?
uhoh.gif

C

cynthia

Vanessa - There are a lot of things that could of caused or lead to the death of your 1st axolotl.

I see you are Australian, many people on this forum from there have reported problems with heat and fungus problems.

Fungus looks like velvet would look on fish. It can be treated with salt baths. If you read the forum and http://www.axolotl.org
You will find information on salt baths, and medications.

New tank syndrome contributes to the ill health and stress of axolotls. Stressed axolotls are prone to health problems.

I have read no specific information about velvet and axolotls. Fungus however appears to be a common problem.

I think there are pictures of axolotls with fungus in the archives of the forums here. There is a picture of an axolotl with a small patch of fungus at axolotl.org.

Compare those pictures with what your axolotl had. That is where I would start.

V

vanessa

I can't find any pics with an axolotl with a fungus on it.

B

brian

Do axolotl have any sort of bad reaction to copper? If not, I'd treat an axolotl with velvet the same way I'd treat a fish. Ask your local fish store about how to treat it, and they will be able to recomend a medication. Be sure that it's not fungus first, though. Medications for velvet generally won't work as well, if at all, on fungus. But Cynthia is right. Velvet doesn't happen on its own. When something is wrong in your tank, the animals inside become more susceptible to infection and disease. Make sure your tank conditions are well within the tolerances of the animals you are trying to keep.

While we're on the subject, are axolotls susceptible to other kinds of fish diseases and parasites? I know from other threads here that they can get anchor worms, but what about ich, flukes, fish lice, etc?

(Message edited by brian on February 11, 2005)

C

cynthia

Brian- Anything containing metals should be avoided.

From http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

Please note well: Aquarium fish remedies can be toxic to axolotls and it is inadvisable to use them without first consulting an expert. Amphibians absorb chemicals very easily through their skin and it is quite easy to accidentally poison your axolotls with remedies. For example, Sterazin and Protozin from Aqualife are toxic to axolotls. Anything containing metals such as copper or manganese should also be avoided. Two of the most common compounds used in aquarium medications are malachite green and methylene blue. Malachite green is very toxic to amphibians so avoid anything that contains it. Methylene blue is safe to use with axolotls, but as always, try to use the minimum dose. There is a list of reportedly safe or unsafe treatments at the end of this page.

There is also information on Parasites on that page that you might want to read and a list of safe and unsafe medications.

(Message edited by cynorita on February 11, 2005)

B

brian

Methylene blue is my prefered treatment for just about anything, assuming I actually need to medicate. Glad it's safe for axolotls.

V

vanessa

I can't seem to find any right kind of treatment in the petshop I got my Dragoon I, II from.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1