Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axy has a lump (pic included)

M

maryanne

Hi all. I have had my axolotl 'Piggy' for a couple of years and he has always been healthy and happy. Recently I have noticed a lump on the side of his belly and i'm not sure what it is. I was hoping someone may be able to help me.
29529.jpg

H

heather

Hi Maryanne
im sorry to hear about your axie, I dont know what it could be but i have some questions for you:
1. Is he still eating
2. What had you been feeding him
3. Any other tank mates?
4. If number three was a yes, do they have any bumps as well?

M

maryanne

Hi Heather,

Yes he is still eating, he is an absolute GUTS, thats why I call him piggy, plus the fact he is also pink. I feed him pellets everyday, prolly 2-3, and there are no tank mates.He seems to be very happy. He did go through a stage of not eating and all his gills deteriorated, but I worked out it was due to the water temperature. Since then I have been putting Iced water bottles in the tank, and now he is back to his normal happy little self. But the lump thing, I dunno what it is. I hope its not fatal or anything
sad.gif

C

cynthia

Maryanne - is the lump getting any bigger or changing in color?

M

maryanne

He has had the lump for a couple of months now, it was a bit smaller and lighter in colour back then, but recently it hasn't got any worse, but Im afraid that it might.

M

michelle

i just had to pop in on this conversation to say what a gorgeous axolotl. I have never seen a pink one before !! soooooo cute !

M

maryanne

hehe thankyou, yes my lil piggy is a very cute boy. I love him dearly
happy.gif

H

heather

Hello Maryanne
Im back again, havent been on the forum too often. Anyways how is your axol doin?
any changes in size or color in the lump lately?
any changes as to diet?
also his gills were lookin on the down side in the picture how are they now?

H

heather

OH!
i had an idea right after i posted the last response, is there anything in the tank that could cut or scrape him in any way?
i think maybe it is an infection?

M

maryanne

Hi Heather,

The only thing that could scrape him is the rocks in the tank, I guess they have some sharpish edges...I have built him a little cave out of rocks and he goes in and out, perhaps he has scraped it on that. And his gills havent got any better, but he doesnt appear to be sick cos he is an absolute guts !! Any ideas what I can do for him if its an infection ?

Cheers

C

celia

This is possibly an out there suggestion but given the size of the rocks in the tank is it possible he has swallowed one, it's ripped the tummy lining (at the point he wasn't eating perhaps), his tummy has gotten better but it's lodged underneath the skin trying to break free (i.e. the body rejecting it?)... that's what it looks like to me but I'm not an expert at all so I was just offering a suggestion.... I hope he gets better, he's incredibly cute....

B

brian

That looks like an abcess. Several of my reptiles have had them. They can be caused by a lot of different things. They are mostly harmless, but could be causing some discomfort. If it's a bacterial abcess, then it could cause some severe problems. If it gets worse, or he stops eating, you may want to take him to a vet that specializes in amphibians.

C

cynthia

My axie has the same thing, I'm really worried. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1