New axie dies in 36 hrs

P

paul

I have 3 axies in a large 400ltr tank. One broke his toe..it got infected...he developed an infection followed by swelling,appearance of nodules & eventual death. The other two seem to be fine & are eating well. Tank temp floats between 22-24 despite regular cooling. I bought a new axie & introduced him to the tank. He swam around & ate some food. 24 hrs later he seemed to be fine as well. I went to bed & when I awoke this morning he was lying on his side on the bottom of the tank....quite dead. The other two axies still seem to be fine. Can anyone shed any light on what may be wrong as I'm now hesitant to get another one.

New axolotls should be kept in quarantine, not added to the tank with your other axolotls.

24 is too warm, as you already know. I would avoid adding more axolotls until the temp is down. Heat is a big stressor.

I have no light to shed on what may have caused the new axolotl to die. It could be a combination of so many different things.

Good luck with your other 2, lots of people from Australia reporting problems with the heat.

Thanks for the reply Cynthia. How long should they be quarrantined for?

They have to remain healthy for 30 days before I consider them okay to leave quarantine. Others mileage may vary.

Paul,

Maybe you should contact the shop where you got them. Most animals in England get a 14 day guarantee for if they die or something happens to them you can take them back. And there also may be a promblem with there tank systems.. best let them know at least

Thanks Kim, will speak to the pet shop. Axies at this shop cost around $37 AUSD so they're not cheap. Hope yours are well. Thanks for the help people. Luv yas all!
love.gif

Why do you need to Quarantine new axolotls? My axolotl, Dragoon II, was bought for $18 Australian Dollars... at a petshop.

Any time you add a new animal to an existing colony of animals you should quarantine the new individual, to make sure it doesn't bring any diseases into the colony.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back