Swollen axie

P

paul

My axie (Blackwattle)had a broken toe. Was advised to give him a salt bath. In the last week or so he has started to float. I had previously fed him lambs liver. He is still floating despite me giving him a few rubs on the tummy. He now has a swollen region under the mouth. His body & legs seem to be swollen as well. He has not eaten for abot 10 days. What do I do? Info on salt baths, chemicals or massage techniques would be appreciated. Should I put him in another container for a while? Please help.

ok Paul, check out recent threads in sick axies but also go to the health page on www.axolotl.org and you'll see the recipe for salt baths and pick up a few more tips.

Now in what way is the toe broken?

The swellings sounds very generalised and more serious; it sounds like an infection. Was the toe damaged/cut and then infected? If you can pictures here would help.

I suggest you move him to another container and keep him in fridge for a couple of days whilst administering salt baths 3x day for 10 mins each. Keep an eye on his swellings and condition if he takes a turn for the worst get him to a herp vet.

Most of here believe liver and heart should be given only as an occaisional food so try not to use it. Best get on with earthworms, meal worms, wax worms etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back