Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oh dear - my Axie is sick I think.... could someone help?

M

michelle

One of my larger Axie's - Willow - seems to have lost a little weight recently, and I've noticed a milky white growth about 2mm in diameter about 1/2cm behind her gills on her right side. I'm saying "her" - we still aren't sure of the sexes of our Axie's as they're not quite mature yet!

Anyway, I've also noticed a few of her veins are visible in her tail - apparently a beginnings sign of sickness(?)

I've tried to take a picture, but it really is poor quality... I don't have a very good camera I'm afraid. The picture I took really would be no use at all!

If you need more information - let me know and I'll try everything I can.

Any advice would be great - she's such a beautiful Axie!

Thanks to anyone who can help

S

sharn

hmmm if you go to axolotl.org on the sickness page theres a picture of a axo that has whiet patches on it. they say its a sign of stress or sumthin. have a look to see if its the same. mines got veins on its tail too...but it seems fine..sorry this wasnt much help....

M

michelle

cheers for the reply sharn i did take a look but the pictures dont really look the same , its more like a boil or blister or something .altho it does seem to have got a little smaller overnight, i have moved her to another tank as i dont want the rest to catch it.she seems fine tho she is still eating .The only thing diff about her is she seems to have lost a little colour , she looks almost pale .
fingers crossed she will be ok xx

C

cynthia

Michelle - check out the threads on how to give salt baths.

You might want to give salt baths to assist in the healing. Make sure you do not mix them too strong.

M

michelle

Thanks cynthia xx have already started salt baths , i suppose thats all i can do really will keep ya posted anywayz
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1