Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fading Colour

J

jamie

Hi, haven't been here in a while but its great to see all the helpful advice!

I recently got a new axie (gold/yellow), about 2weeks ago and yesterday i was surprised to see that he turned almost white, gills which are usually red included. I thought that he was dead until i poked him with my finger. He was still moving ok, but would stop as if playing statues. Anyway as worried as i was, i was just glad that he was still alive and moving. Some colour returned during the afternoon however he was still very pale. When i got up this morning it was if nothing had happened.I noticed this before but not so drastic, hardly noticeable even...very strange.

I guess my question is, what would have caused such a dramatic fade in colour? Any suggestions??

Sorry no photos available.

Thanks for any help.
Jamie

J

jenny

im not sure, but i read somewhere that the gills turn white when theyre sleeping. but dont know about the rest of the body. i know that lecy ones go pink if they are stressed.

J

jamie

thank you for that but it looked as if he had died (as if it was from fungus).

The colour has returned now and he seems fine, so i guess i shouldn't worry too much.

A

ashley

I remember reading in the book "Axolotls" by Scott that axolotls can sometimes have temporary anemia (lower than normal number of red blood cells). I don't remember the cause but I don't think it was a serious problem. If I can get to the book and back to a computer I'll let you know for sure, but it may not be for a few days.

M

mik

Any chance the tank was unnaturally very hot or very cold?

Colour often fades from gill in temps as low as 14 C and lower

J

jamie

The tank would have only been 1-2 degrees hotter than usual.

P

peter

hi Jamie.

I also have a golden albino. He ranges from a orangy/gold colour (when he was younger) to a yellow/gold colour at present.
quite often, he looks very very pale like a pale yellow, his gills lose their red colour and look pink, his tail looks almost white, this is usually when he is quite still. we presume this is when he sleeps.
when he is active his skin and gill colour deepen.
after a feed, he becomes a deep orangy/yellow and his gill look like fire.

peter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1