Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus?

N

natasha

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can identify this brown stuff on the side of my axie? sorry the pics are not real clear. She also has a tiny bit underneath her belly.
I am not sure if it is just muck from when it all gets stirred up when I clean the tank or if it some kind of fungus.
If I gently rub it with my finger pieces of the brown stuff come off.
She lives alone in a 2.5 foot tank, temp around 24 degrees (hasn't caused a problem before it is too hot to get it down any lower), ph neutrel ammonia and nitrates good.
Any ideas?
Thanks
29690.jpg

J

jarred

Yep, try the salt baths. If it is some kind of skin infection the salt baths will help clear it up.

N

natasha

How do I go about a salt bath? I have read previous posts and am confused.
Do I need to use aquarium salt?
and how much? everyone is saying different things.
She is looking worse there is a lot more brown stuff.

C

cynthia

Natasha - caudata's sister site:

http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

says...

Place the animal in a salt bath for about 10 minutes once or twice a day. A salt bath is prepared using 2-3 teaspoons of salt (table salt, cooking salt, or iodized salt, but not "low" or "low-sodium" salt) per litre/two pints. Don't leave the Axolotl in the salt bath for more than 15 minutes each time, because the salt will start to damage the Axolotl's skin and particularly its gills. Of course, this is all useless if the animal is still under stress when put back in its aquarium (strong-flowing water, high water temperature, bad water quality, etc....).

M

mik

Not quite sure wehat it is. But if it's muck from the tank then clean your gravel with a syphon to keep it under control.

But again if it muck from the tank it should fall away when he/she swims.

Salt baths won't harm in any case.

L

lisa

I'm just having a guess here, but could it be velvet? I've seen it on goldfish, but not on axies.

N

natasha

Thanks for that.
It doesn't come off when she swims around however it comes off if I gently rub it with my fingers. I will try the salt baths. Although I am worried because the temp will be high when she goes bank to her tank it's about 23 degrees C currently. As I said it is 38 C degrees outside here and the air con is on 24/7 just to keep the tank at these temperatures!!, can't wait until summer is over.

B

becky

I have a (possibly) similar problem ... brown gunk trailing off my axie's gills. It seems to collect there when he sits still during the day and then falls off when he swims around at night. I have done two salt baths but it comes back. I have what should be an adequate filter and do regular substrate cleaning & water changes, so any ideas how to prevent this?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1