Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Growin back body parts?

J

jenny

how long does it take for body parts to grow back. oswolds leg was bitten off about a month ago and doesnt seem to have even started growing yet. elizabeth and fijibobs tails have been bitten (harriets strangely hasnt! hmmm) how long will that take?

also, harriet is black and her body has started going greyish..im pretty sure its not a fungus..its just like..when you buy somethin black and when youve had it a while the colour starts to fade. its like that. is this normal?

K

kim

It can take time... mine took 3months to grown 3 legs back... but sometimes so ive heard there tails just stay bitten...

I think the lack of colour in your axie could mean she/he is under some stress.

K

kaysie

Jenny, I dont think its unusual for animals color to vary. My axies have changed colors dramatically since I got them.

M

mary

My black axi went greyish after she layed eggs - so i spose it could be some type of stress, but then again, my male axi was pretty dark sandy colour when I got him and he keeps getting lighter.

I know exactly what you mean about fading black clothes!!!! I wear all black to work and when I got a new shirt I also had to get new pants, cause against the new shirt my pants looked grey!!!!! GGGRRRRRR!!!! Off the subject a bit - but I hate it soooooo much!!!!

Any way about the body parts growing back, my yellow female had a split in her tail and a few little chunks missing, and they have healed pretty quickly, the split is gone and the missing chuncks are growing back nicely, slightly different colour - but growing back none the less. My black axi got a little piece taken out of the end of her tail about 8 months ago and it is still missing, it was only little, but it's still not there. Just leave it a while, they will grow back when they are ready.

J

johnny

the things on my axi on his gills r not growing back what can i do to help get them back its been a long time since hes had them and he looked so much better with them

J

jenny

has water changed since they 'went'?

one of my axies - when i bought him he was in a really bad state and had no fluffy bits on his gills and they theyre huge - they just grew back in time.

maybe your axie has some kind of worm or fungus eating away at them? the gills shrimk as well when they do not need so much oxygen but i dont know if it is that the fluffy bits go or that the whole thing just actually shrinks.

pollywog

Reaction score
The filaments on the gills may have disappeared for many reasons. The most common reason that I have come across is that of temperature as the amount of oxygen dissolved in the water varies with the temperature of the water. They may re-grow over time but I don't think it is guaranteed.

M

mik

Johnny the loss of branchaie (no i can't spell it right) may be down to too much currrent in your tank. Do you have a canister filter with an output nozzle...if so try some form of diffuser to reduce velocity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1