Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hungry but not eating?

J

jenny

whenever i feed my axies - elizabeth snaps at the food and keeps it in his mouth for a bit but then he always spits it out whether its worms or pellets. so i bought some really small 3mm pellets and hes still spitting them out. so its not that hes refusing food. just seems to not be able to swollow it? My other axies are fine with eating though.

(Message edited by jennyg on January 03, 2005)

K

kraig

My axys sometimes do this as well. They nip at the little pellets I feed them, chew on them for a few seconds, then spit them out.

I haven't seen any correlation between this behaviour and water temperature/pressure.

It could be that they're not hungry during those times when I feed them, since they eat fine at other times. It might also be that, because they don't really have teeth, their mouths aren't able to grip the pellets properly when they're chewing on them, and so this causes the pellets to accidently fall from their mouths.

Another thing to check for is any signs of stress in your axy that is spitting out the food.

I wish I could help more, I can imagine this has you worried. I've been through the same thing, on and off.

J

jenny

he has been doing it for a few weeks. i leave pellets at the bottom of the tank for them though incase they want some more later and the pellets go but i dont know who eats them i doubt it is elizabeth though. he seems fine though even though he hasnt eaten for a few weeks.

K

kraig

My two axys have gotten very picky in the past two months. One of them only snaps at food that is dropped right in front of her - That is, she no longer eats food that is at the bottom of the tank. The other hasn't eaten in that whole time, even though I've tried feeding him some pellets every day. It was only last night that he started eating a little, the first meal he's had in two months. So I know how it can be worrisome to see them not eating for a long time.

I wish I could help more, but in the meantime, here is previous thread which hopefully may help you:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/26382.html

J

jenny

cool, thanks for that kraig.

think i am going to put him in a separate tank for a bit to monitor him closer and try frozen bloodworm. and let some of my shrimp hatchlings grow to give them those as well. it might be fun for them to start chasing food again as they havent done it since i had guppies a while ago

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1