I really need some urgent help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

gabriela

I don't know what happened. Yesterday I bought a brand new aquarium, very big, for my axie. For some reason, since I put him there, he's stuck in one corner, won't move and his gills keep moving up and down. Another strange thing is that in one night, he defecated (I'm sorry everyone for this not very "pleasant" subject) these huge pieces of food (he generally doesn't do that).
I don't know if he's quiet because he's just digesting, or something else. The aquarium is completely clean, with adequate temperature.
Help!

He is probably just getting used to the new water. did you leave it to stand for 24 hours before putting him in it? and if he is regurgitating food, they do this if say at night the water gets a lot cooler.

Sounds like stress from being in a new place. Going into a completely clean setup with "new" water can be very stressful. It would have been helpful to use the water and ornaments from the old tank. Also, is there a filter that's making a current in the water?

Gabriela,
Your tank needs to cylce before adding an axie now you must monitor water conditions carefully and ensure you do mre frequent waer changes as required until the nitrogen ccyle has established. Any chance you can return him to his old tank (and water/filter etc) for a time?

Axies will vomit food if stressed or conditions are dramatically changed.

Don't panic it's something you can work around... but let us know what you did with old tank set up, your new tank size, axie size and anything else you can think of for now.

I realize this is too late to help you this time but for others who get new larger tanks for their axolotl (or fish) friends ...

When setting up new tanks I use "old water" from my established tanks, and I use a power filter from an established tank so it already has the bacteria from a cycled tank. And I keep sponge filters running in some of my established tanks just so I have them when starting new tanks. Any or all combinations of small things like this help cycle your new tank faster.

If I ever need to completely drain a tank for some reason, I save the water by pumping it out of the tank into a clean plastic garbage pail. I keep a new pail on hand just for water for emergencies like a tank leak.

Hi everyone!! Thanks for all the advise! He's more used to the tank and the water, and is moving around, and eating. I'll try to keep these advises in mind for the future!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back