Injured axie

K

karl

26591.jpg

I noticed a patch of red on one of my axies(lottie) the other night,i took her out into small tank on her own.I got a bit freaked actually because Because i thought it was a disease or something.
On closer inspection though it seems like her leg has 2 or 3 gashes on it & she was probably bitten or got herself in a scrape! (she is the feistiest of my 3 axies).
She seems less stressed this morning & the limb is less "bunched up".Im keeping the tank in my hallway while im at work,as this would be the coolest/darkest part of my appartment.Im also chilling the water & changing it at least once a day.Tonight im going to give her a salt bath,any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
you can just about see the damage in the top left of this photo although the leg seemed a lot more tensed up last night.

Just relax and not do too much for your axolotl...

The leg will heal but may take a while...Keep him in the container for a fortnight and make sure he get fed well...chilling the water is good because it increases regeneration..but let him stay in peace...don't change the water too much and let him heal by himself...

Sound from Zap advice; nothing more to add. Other than keep her separate for as long as it takes to heal.

Can you provide some slate for her to walk on? smooth surfaces can be a bit stressy for them.

will do mikki thanks!
although thats a plastic container the surface is quite rough .
Shes having a tough time walking about as it is.
you mightve noticed that the other front leg is a bit stumpy which is pretty much how it was when i bought her.( she managed to grow back a couple more toes though)
She seems a bit better this evening although I've yet to do the salt bath.At this point i think im more stressed than she is!
She seems to be relishing the prospect of a week or two in hospital being looked after & not having to scrap for her food!!

(Message edited by klash on November 17, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back