Floating... (PT2)

A

a.

I've just noticed that one of my other axolotls is starting to lose its fin and acting like the one that died. Whats going on and how can I stop it? I feel this is urgent.

Back legs are spread out.

I change around 1/3 of the water every week.
I don't know the ammonia level, don't have a tester.
I havn't checked the PH is a while, but it was nuetral then.
Temperature is 20 degrees.
I feed them beef heart everyday, if they arn't hungry they don't eat it.

John said he knew what the problem was, but didn't tell me, so I didn't know how to avoid this happening again.

Sounds like water flow inducing stress. Has that been mentioned?

21286.jpg

21287.jpg

I don't know, it looks normal now. Maybe I was over reacting. He/she ate lastnight though.

That filter looks very powerful Cavsta. Suggest you go to plumbers store and buy a ballofix valve or gate valve and put in pipe and throttle down the flow to something acceptable. You can get these valves for plastic pipe or with an insert so that the pipe doesn't collapse when you tighten the olive joint.

I had a similar unit and i trimmed the impellor blades but i don't reccommend that because you can't reverse it, if you cut too far.

Could you start a new thread to keep us informed? This one has over 75 posts now and makes slow loading or those who don't have broadband connections.

I've split this topic in two for the 56k'ers due to miks request.

I've added more water to the tank to dampen the outflow. I'll pay a visit to a hardware store later on in the week. The axy in trouble seems to be doing fine, i've put it in a plastic container with gravel on the bottom and chilled the water. The water is still. And it is eating. Hopefully this one will pull through.

thanks cavsta I'll move a couple of your last posts from other thread over too

After all this time they are still alive, looks like there is no problem at all. But is it normal for them to always have their back legs spread out all the time?

Not exactly sure what you mean but if it is as your photo describes above. there doesn't appear to be anything wrong.

Glad to hear they are doing well

mine float with their back legs at right angles to the body, straight out. I think its normal, unless they're sitting on the ground.

Their legs are at a permanent 90 degree angle. I'll get a photo for you guys soon.

it might be a deformity, but if its not causing any problems with getting around, i wouldnt worry

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back