Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cut Up Gills

H

heather

i think my axos are trimming each-others gills....it looks pretty bad.Antonio only had a little patch of missing featheries but it looks like one of Catherine's entire gill stalk thingie has been cut almost halfway down! did anyone have this problem? what should i do??

M

miss

I had that problem with my axies, so i had to seperate them. Their bits and pieces grew back so don't stress too much...

K

katy

how long have they been together? this happened when i introduced my two - for the first few days little pieces went missing. now they're fine, and growing back.

make sure they have plenty of caves and places to hide, this should fix it. if it doesn't, and they're just being aggressive, you might need to separate them.

M

mik

It's what we always say: Lots of room per axie and lots of hidy holes to escape into.
At least you know that axies will heal well given half a chance....move over Wolverine your healing power sucks compared to axies!

H

heather

my axies have been in the same tank together since april and i had lots of hidy places until a few days before i noticed their gills, i had to get rid of all my plants and all they had to hide in was a little flower pot....thats probably why it happened. i have added a whole bunch of those fake silk plants and a super cool hidy area i am trying to get some more...that should take care of the problem right?
...yeah i know axies are masters at healing them selves i was just a little over reactive about the whole thing because i just got back from a small vacation and was a bit stressed. it really isnt that bad when i compare it to older pictures of them...

K

katy

keep an eye on them. it might be worth separating them until you've got all their hiding spots back, but after that i don't see why they wouldn't be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1