White spots on babies!

L

louise

Out of the 42 eggs Kerry sent me, I now only have about 10 larvae. They have been dying in dribs and drabs since they hatched. They start by getting very small white spots on their bodies and tail, and then just become more and more inactive until they die.

I don't think it's fungus, as it's not fuzzy looking, but I'm not sure.

They are being fed BBS and young daphnia. I spot clean and do daily partial water changes. I'm not over or underfeeding, and I've checked through the 'why larvae die' page a hundred times.

Should I try a salt bath?

I don't think salt baths would help if its not fungus and they might not survive a salt bath at their age. Can you post a pic so we can make a proper diagnosis

79938.jpg

I know the pictures aren't great, but you can see the white spots. I know golden albinos have white patches as part of their colouring, but it's not thst. the spots stick out from the body. They look to me like 'white spot' that fish can get.
79941.jpg

If you look at it from different angles does it look like it has little hairs sticking out? When fungus appears on the little axies, it is a lot harder to see compared to on a bigger axie. I've been looking after my sister's 5 babies (they're about 1-2 inches) and 3 of them keep getting fungus (due to warm/fluctuating temperatures). I've been saltbathing them twice a day for 10 minutes, with great success. Try the saltbath method. One of my friends who breeds them has saltbathed both his axie eggs and babies from 1cm size with success as well.

Hi louise I also had some of kerrys eggs, how are the babies doing do you have any left?

Just wondering if anyone really decided what the white spots were.

We were recently given around 15 eggs and after losing a few very small larvae, we had around 6 that seemed to be developing well. They were around one inch long and had their front legs.

Two began to look unwell and each had a small white patch. I checked the water and found nitrate levels were raised a little, so I did a 50% change. We were going away for the weekend so we put the sick larvae into separate containers and hoped for the best. Unfortunately, we returned to find that all our larvae were dead.

We're all quite upset and have cleaned and sterilised the tank with hot water and removed the undergravel filter. If we manage to obtain any more larvae we'll not bother with gravel and filter to begin with as a more empty tank would be much easier to keep clean.

Does anyone know of available eggs / larave in the Manchester, UK area?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back