Brine Shrimp Hatchery

S

sarah

Does anyone have a good link to a DIY brine shrimp hatchery,its been a couple of years since I made my last one and cant remember everything!
Thanks in advance

Hey Sarah,

I can't give you a link, but I made a brine shrimp hatchery a little while ago. I used a tall cylindrical food-safe container with a bubblestone in the bottom. I just added a spoonfull or however much it said to add on the packet of aquarium salt and a spoonfull of brineshrimp eggs (teaspoon that is).

They hatched within a couple of days, depending on the temperature and I had 3 containers going at the same time so that there was always enough brineshrimp there for the little axolotls.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Steffi

You're welcome Sarah.

I also found a good way to rinse the brineshrimp before giving them to the axies.

I used thin plastic tubing (like for the bubble stone) to syphon the shrimp out of the container into a small coffee filter thing (made from paper, the ones that go into the coffee machine).
Then I rinsed the shrimp in the coffee filter under running tapwater and let the coffee filter empty a bit.

Then I just had to empty the filter in the baby axie tank and wave it around a bit so all the brineshrimp came out.

Hope that makes sense and good luck with raising your axies
happy.gif

Steffi

All a bit academic now as the eggs didnt arrive...so all set up and waiting for some if anyone has any?

I found the coffee filter paper kept splitting when I rinsed it. Very frustrating, I must say. I've been trying to find some sort of brineshrimp net; but none of the petstores sell them; also tried online and was just sent a fine mesh one which they said would be fine even if it wasn't for BBS, the BS slipped through quite easily.

But I managed to get one of those mesh coffee filter basket inners.

My friend used a pair of his wife's brand new winter stockings and cut the bottom bits and fixed to one of his fishnets for his brineshrimp rinsing (wife wasn't too happy obviously and still has to make up for it!)

I use a mans handkerchief held over a plastic jug with an elastic band!

Gee that's better than my mesh basket one and cheaper!

Hope you get some eggs soon; have you checked out the for sale/giveaway section?

it works really well,just take the hankie off the jug and gently put it in fresh water and there ya go lots of baby brine shrimp.
Yeah I checked the for sales etc and I'm on a waiting list so fingers crossed!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back