What if

A

adelle

Do you think I should get two axolotls? I want two definatly but dont want the babies in a year or so down the line as cute as i think they are. They wont breed until at least a year and a half will they? Isnt there any way to tell the sex when they are small (2/3inches)?
When the babies arrive and grow and you look after them how many usually survive cos i know they can have anything from 600 to 1100!! Should i buy a small tank and then give them back to the pet shop or something if it ever happens and if so at what age? Would you get different colours from say two albino axolotls or just albinos. I dont wanna get attatched. My rats had babies ages ago and it broke my heart to give some of them away (althoughy i kept nearly all of them resulting in 19 rats :p)

Adelle, if they do breed, you don't have to raise the eggs. You can leave the eggs in the tank, and they'll be eaten by the parents.

They could be sexually mature in 8 months, or 18 months. There's no way to forecast. There's also no way to tell the sex before they reach sexual maturity.

Survival of eggs in captivity can reach 100%. But again, you don't have to raise the eggs.

If you have two albinos, you will only get albino babies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back