Why do my brineshrimp not hatch

A

alex

ive tried hatching brineshrimp, but it never works. ive got them in a big old food tub, with an airstone, i put the eggs in with 1 teaspoonful of salt, but it never works.
the tub holds about 1.5 litres of water.

i would refer to the instructions, but they have peeled off

please help, what am i doing wrong?

what temp are your water it should be around 25-27 celcius. if it is too cold they just wont hatch

they are about 25
i think maybe the eggs are bad
im ordering a brineshrimp hatchery, so hopefully itl work ok then
cheers

Our temps have been fluctuating so have been using a desklamp constantly to raise the temp for the eggs. We started using the bottle method, but actually find it easier using a small tank. My friend does his BS in plastic buckets, which works same. We stagger them (have 2 running, started a day apart) so we are in constant supply of BS. We did find on first trying it that one or two of the batches didn't work; whether that was our fault/inexperience or bad batch I'm not sure.

(Message edited by kapo on November 27, 2006)

yea, i think, if simply for the fact that ive got a load of eggs on the way(thanks jenny) i want a reliable methos, so il buy one of the hatchery thingys

If various conditions all fail, then the eggs are bad. This is a common problem. A teaspoon of salt for 1.5 liters of water sounds like not enough salt. I use a tablespoon (which equals 3 teaspoons) course salt per half liter of water.

Temperature does not matter much. I hatch mine in a cold basement. They take 2 full days, but they DO hatch.

In some cases, an addition of a small amount of epsom salts can increase hatching particuarly if you have soft water.

Also if you are using table salt it contains silicates to keep it from caking which will kill brine shrimp.

Ed

Jen and Ed are right. In most cases table salt will not work as it often contains additives (e.g. iodine, fluoride) that impede the hatching of bbs. Sea salt always worked fine for me. I usually use 1 - 2 teaspoons of salt per half a liter. Some sources also state that a little bit of light during the hatching process (from a window or small light bulb) increases hatching success.
After opening a fresh container with brineshrimp cysts you should use it up quickly respectively put it in the freezer for later use to prevent them from going bad.
Check if you are using decapsulated cysts as they also will not hatch.

I us the bottle method which works.
For 1 liter I put 32 grams of salt.
put the botles on 25 celsius and after two days they are there!!
I have heard often of bad eggs. happy I never have this experience myself.
Have luck with your new brineshrimp breeding.

I have had no trouble hatching brine shrimp, and I dont try very hard at it either.

I use cold water from the tap, throw in around 2 teaspoons of eggs and about 4 teaspoons of salt, and in two days they will have hatched.

I dont measure my water, take the temperature or anything.

When i first hatched eggs, I was so clueless I thought they hadnt hatched, but didnt realise how small they would actually be. So make sure you get a torch and really look for them, because otherwise it doesnt even look like they hae hatched!

where did you get your eggs from ? i could give you some if you like

we had trouble with the BBS- one batch was great then lots of trouble...

when i had brine shrimp (as pets
happy.gif
)
i just put the eggs in and stirred the water and they were born by the next day and i noticed that sometimes they are so small u dont know if they are there or not...

that's because they come with a hatch mix, which has all the salt and stuff they need. i always thought sea monkies were brine shrimp that were conditioned for freshwater. nope. haha.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back