Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I have a male and female axolotl but they wont breed. How can i get them to breed?

stephen

Reaction score
i have two axolotls a male and a female and they are not breeding. What can i do to try and make them breed. The water temperature is 19C and the quality is good so how can i try to make them breed?

kapo

Reaction score
How old are they? Just let nature take its course. You can't make them breed. We have 4yr olds that even with their previous owner that have never bred (sp?). You'll probably find that even at 19C they may not breed, probably when it cools down more than that if you get a sudden cold spell. That's when ours did, our temp dropped then picked up.

What do you intend doing once you have the eggs, if they breed? How many do you intend keeping/raising? Do you have places that will buy them/take them? They take a lot of time - cleaning /feeding, making sure there's enough live food for twice daily feeding, daily waterchanges; separating them out into sizes as they grow and keeping well fed so it keeps down cannibilism; did I mention time! It also can work out quite expensive to find live food, if you don't have any easy food sources (ie daphnia or live baby brineshrimp)

Several weeks ago one of ours laid 250eggs, of those I've kept 20 (I have places all ready for them to go to in a few more weeks - otherwise I wouldn't have kept them); the rest I gave to a breeder who raises and sends axies round the country. These 20 larvae keep us on our toes, along with 10 adult axies, various other pets and young children.

Have you really thought about it before deciding to go ahead with it.

stephen

Reaction score
Oh now that you say all that about doing lots of work to look after the babies and it costs money to look after them. I am happy with them not having babies.

J

jay

lol
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1