Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2nd new babies hatched ..

?

~

ok, so I have 26 babies from the 1st hatching of an albino yellow and now I have over a hundred of wild, spotted type and a yellow dad .. im hoping they will be melonoid but im not so sure of the gene pool ..
my biggiest question is I hatch shrimp, i remove the eggs from the crysts , I feed 2 times a day and clean all the shrimp out after every meal, my question is do I need to have airator on over the night, i have them in pretty good size containers and im hoping that will be enough oxyegen for the evening ..
any suggestions ?
~ Drew ~

79358.jpg

79359.jpg

79360.jpg

L

lee

there so cute arnt they we had our first batch of babies in jan we had over 2oo babies now left with 9 but there strong eating well and past the dieing stage is it true with the first batch the babies all die or dont get many only an had full also do you know how many times axi breed in a year

kapo

Reaction score
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting lee chamberlain on Wednesday 28 February 2007 - 21:34 (#POST123023):</font>

is it true with the first batch the babies all die or dont get many only an had full also do you know how many times axi breed in a year<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> I don't believe this is true. If you tried to raise all 200 babies you may not have had enough food for them. And they take a lot of time, which I'm sure you know.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting ~ Drew ~ on Wednesday 28 February 2007 - 03:45 (#POST122960):</font>

do I need to have airator on over the night,<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> My friend used to turn most of the airstones in his axie larvae containers off at nights when he was raising his axie babies. When I first looked after my sisters axie babies I kept them running all the time apart from when I waterchanged. If the water is cool enough it will have more oxygen than if it is warmer anyway.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting lee chamberlain on Wednesday 28 February 2007 - 21:34 (#POST123023):</font>

how many times axi breed in a year<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> An axie if left in tank with same mate, can breed up to 3 times during cooler seasons (so that could apply to winter/spring and autumn in some cases - especially in UK!). Only thing is if an axie breeds within a few weeks of laying a 1st or even 2nd batch, it can be quite stressful (as female will not have had time for her body to recuperate after first batch) and she could get very sick. One of the axie breeders we know, we got our first axies from said his breed about 3-4 times a year.

kapo

Reaction score

is it true with the first batch the babies all die or dont get many only an had full also do you know how many times axi breed in a year<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> I don't believe this is true. If you tried to raise all 200 babies you may not have had enough food for them. And they take a lot of time, which I'm sure you know.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting ~ Drew ~ on Wednesday 28 February 2007 - 03:45 (#POST122960):</font>

do I need to have airator on over the night,<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> My friend used to turn most of the airstones in his axie larvae containers off at nights when he was raising his axie babies. When I first looked after my sisters axie babies I kept them running all the time apart from when I waterchanged. If the water is cool enough it will have more oxygen than if it is warmer anyway.

how many times axi breed in a year<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> An axie if left in tank with same mate, can breed up to 3 times during cooler seasons (so that could apply to winter/spring and autumn in some cases - especially in UK!). Only thing is if an axie breeds within a few weeks of laying a 1st or even 2nd batch, it can be quite stressful (as female will not have had time for her body to recuperate after first batch) and she could get very sick. One of the axie breeders we know, we got our first axies from said his breed about 3-4 times a year.

Another axie owner in Wellington her axie first laid eggs in Oct last year, 2nd batch a few weeks later and 3rd laying in early January.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1