Oh no- poor mummy about to lay again.....

M

mary

My daddy axie has to get separated from his "wife"- she only laid eggs at the end dec and now he's been at it again. The poor mummy...

yeh you will have to separate them as it will be to stressfull for the mum having babies that short time ago. just put a devider in the tank so they can still see each other insted of taking the male or female out.good luck on the babies tho.

thanks- i won't be raising any babes- we'e tried that- haaaard work! we have one cute we child from an earlier batch. he is adorable...

Hey Mary if she's already laid the eggs, sell them on TM on a 3 day auction, I think Anna, another kiwi did that. That way you don't have to cull them. If i didn't have my babies nor know how much work is involved I probably would have bought them off you. :D But even mine keep me on my toes, and I've gotten very fond of my sister's ones too.

Also, if you need a separate tank there's a couple on TM, 2 and 3 footers, that are selling cheaply in Wellington, if you have the room for them or one.

(Message edited by heihei on February 03, 2007)

Hi there!
actually thought the lovely girl was about to lay but nothing has happened yet! I think a friend of ours wants them ( prob to sell!!)...
I am seriously thinking of sending pink dad away and moving "baby" in with mum- ( gawd i hope it isn't a he or there would be some serious in-breeding down the trach surely!) Is Kapo back yet??

Yes, but I've borrowed her laptop; so she's um not online till I return it, probably Waitangi day as I have some stuff to finish before returning it!

Have you considered a bigger tank and keep your little one as a spare for those unexpected moments, pop Dad into the smaller one, mind you sounds like you have that anyway! What size is your tank, at least with a bigger one you can set it up and put in tank dividers.

Well I tried tank dividers - and the female went straight over the top to the male side - what a waste of time and effort!!

Depends on how high your divider is, if you have a lid and how high the water level is. If you make you're own then you're probably pretty much guaranteed that you'll make a decent one that your axie doesn't get over!

This one was home made and came above water level!! Mind you she has been known to jump out of water before!

Did you have a lid on it? My friend made one, extending out of waterline but keeps his tank lid on, he has 3 cats, so if they do jump they'd only hit the glass lid and not be able to get over.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back