All but 10 babies died

K

karen

Not sure what happened - I changed their water late last night (I change it daily), added fresh daphnia, airstone was in and the fan was on and windows open to keep them cool. All the smallest ones were dead when I checked on them at lunchtime :-(

How much water did you change? Because I had tadpoles and I changed to much water and they all died.

You might do better to remove waste with a turkey baster and only do small water changes. Larvae can be very sensitive to big changes. Even going from what looks like filthy water to good clean water can kill them.

Karen- I am still only using two 18 inch tanks for mine separating the bigger ones from the smaller.I change a couple of jugs about every 3 days and "touch wood" i haven't lost one as yet.Hope your other ten or so survive. Ian

Thanks guys - thasts the only thing I can think of. The ones that died were the smallest ones. But at the same time - I've always changed the water daily (about three quarters of it) And only lately does it seem to have been a problem - weird ... they were even deaths from separate containers .. a couple are SLIGHTLY bigger than all the others ...i will separate these 2 ..

Ian have yours turned pink yet ? ;-)

I just realised something else - I was using cold tap water - and maybe it hadnt reached room temp that day before i put it in ...

Cooler water ,even just a few degrees colder could have shocked them this can be fatal.If you just followed your usual routine this is all i can imagine to be the cause.

Yellower by the day Karen

Mum knows best - and if me AND your mum say pink then pink it is.

Mine now have slightly pink gills - although bodies remain yellowy. And they are finally growing back legs :)

check their gills. some of my babies had stripped the other babies gills of "feathers" which caused them to die. they looked in perfect condition but when i checked them under a magnifying glass i noticed all their gill "feathers" had been eaten but the gill "stalks" were fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back