New Axie Owner

A

amanda

Hiya,

I have had my two axies since just before christmas and as this is my first time i was after some advise.

Pebbles is white with dark eyes and Bam BAm is brown speckled.

Pebbles is female i think and Bam Bam is still small and to be honest i don't know!

How big do they have to be before you can sex them? and if they were to mate would the babies be ok or do i need to get the same type of breed to mate them?

How long are they, that will give us an idea on how old they are. They can be two colours for breeding. Should come out with some great looking babies.

Hiya Karrie,

Thanks for your reply.

Pebbles is about 7 inches long and Bam Bam is about 4-5 inches long

I don't think they are big enough yet. Pebbles might be. Can you post a picture of them. If you can try to get a good shot, behind the legs at the base of tail. Sorry to crude about it. Might be able to at least give you an idea.

Unfortunatly Pebbles died this morning. I phoned the place that i got her? from and they told me that some of thiers had died also. so I think maybe she hasn't been well for a while. Fingers crossed for Bam Bam we have removed it from the tank and are treating the tank just incase it is something to do with that.

I didn't actualy realise how attached i had got to them until this morning.

I'am sorry to hear that. Is Bam Bam still eating? What kind of stuff do you have in the tank? Do you have sand or bare bottom? Is thank cycled? Maybe we can figure out what happened.

at the moment Bam Bam is in a bare tank my husband has completely changed the water in the other one and we are letting it rest for a couple of days before putting Bam Bam back.

As for Pebbles when i removed her from the tank she had really Bloated out all over and her mouth was open.

Bam Bam was a bit sluggish at first this morning but he seems to have picked up a bit and is now eating more than he has done for the past couple of days.

we were changeing a certain amount of the water in the tank reguarly. I have had a go at the people we got her from because at the end of the day they shouldn't be letting them go if they are not well.

At the moment we have got pebbles but we are thinking about maybe putting sand in instead what do you think.

(Message edited by betty on January 17, 2007)

The pebbles might of been the problem. When they eat they can suck them in with the food. Sand or a bare bottom is the best. She might of eaten some and it could of clogged her up. The people that you got her from have her on pebbles as well? As long as Bam Bam keeps eating thats a good thing. When I first got Cracker pets hop told me to put him in a tropical tank with semi-mean fish temp 85-90 deg. almost lost him. So please don't feel bad This is how alot of you got started.
biggrin.gif
Yes I think you need to change to sand.

yes they did have her on pebbles when we got her. Bam Bam is still going strong though so maybe he going to be o.k have told my husband that sand would be better for bam Bam and we going to get some today. Thanks for your help.
lol.gif

Mine are kept on bare bottom tank - are now 2 yrs old and doing fine

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back