Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brime shrimp aeat my babies???

M

morrissey

Ho god! When I put some brime shrimp into the tank for my olive's babies yesterday, this morning I found many of my babies dead and covered with brime shrimp!!!!!
errr.gif

Is brime shrimp attack my babies?

J

jacob

I have never heard of brine shrimp killing baby axolotls, but I do know that sometimes I find a dead hatchling or two that died of genetic defects covered in the shrimp.

ravenous

Reaction score
brine shrimp will eat the bacteria that grow on dead baby axies. i have noticed this happening with a few of my babies that died. maybe try putting less brine shrimp in per feed.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
are you using newly hatched baby brine shrimp? Are you rinsing them well to remove salt water? Are you being certain not to overfeed? Overfeeding, salt, to large of shrimp can foul the water and kill larvae.

I

ian

The lady who introduced me to Axies and who gave me my first babies late last year strictly warned me NOT to feed them live brine shrimp (not newly hatched ones - the Axies loved them!) as she lost a whole batch of 150+ babies within a week of adding them to the tank. These were not overfed and were bought from an aquarium, so rinsed of salt water... but whether this was a coincidence or not we'll never know, but its better to be safe than sorry.

(Message edited by ian_uk on January 15, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!